1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Drama plays all girls

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Mrs Grumpy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Isn't there something I vaguelly recall called "gutty girls" or similar, about a group of women working cleaning fish? And I found in about a 1940s copy of "Plays of the year" collection of short plays, one with an all-female cast of women in the aftermath of a war, all different ages and types. I can't lay my hands on either at present, so long since I've needed them, but try an internet search with the criterion "all female" and I'm sure loads will come up.
    Mind you, often you can change the sex of characters in existing plays, some girls mind, others don't, that their character "was male", you might end up getting a re-type!! I also have some recollection of a play about suffragettes. It's just as tough with all-male groups, too. Good luck.

2. Are you thinking of 'Gut Girls' by Sarah Daniels? I always get top marks with Be My Baby by Amanda Whittington, Daisy Pulls it Off by Denise Deegan, Once a Catholic ( can't remember the author )

3. all the ones above a re excellent plus
    Trojan women
    Kindertransport
    Mark Wheeler plays - Too Much Punch for Judy and one about Anorexia;
    Playhouse Creatures
    adapting scenes from Shakespeare

Hope these help
    sev

4. My second book 'One Act Plays For Girls' is due for publication in the next few weeks.

Check out my website www.davidhughesdrama.co.uk

Book will be available via Amazon, Waterstones, Foyles and EHd Resources.

5. Hi there,

I would suggest:

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
    It is a wonderful play set in an all girl's boarding school and there are about 12 different characters. You could invent additional characters as well and give them some of the lines of the other characters.
    They did this at my school and it was brilliant.
    Good luck

6. Thanks everyone, much appreciated

7. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

If you start inventing characters then I would suspect that it becomes more of a devised piece rather than the acting.

8. Sweet FA by Mark Wheeller

Downloadable and you can read it before committing.

www.wheellerplays.co.uk for more information or google school play productions.

Mark

9. Cagebirds by Compton is perfect - I did it last year and got some great grades!

10. I once taught in an all girls school, and using AQA we were allowed to use girls to play boys. We used a shortened version of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' set it in the 1960's (Royal characters in Mary Quant style, and then the forest and the fairies were psychodelic. Music from the 1960's like lots of Beatles songs. It went down a storm. I have also done extracts from 'Blood Brothers' that worked really well. I also got the girls to do Shakers by Godber, and another group to do a scene from Oscar Wilde's 'Important of Being Earnest'. We also did 'The Tempest'. I hope this helps!

11. How about 'be my baby' set in the 1950's 1960's all girls and some good character work available.