1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Drama Help

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by bgibson11, Mar 28, 2017.

1. bgibson11

bgibson11 New commenter

Hello,

I have been asked to help tutor a student who is struggling with the written paper (Unit 1) of the old spec but I do not teach this qualification at my school.

I have been looking around to arm myself ahead of helping him towards the end of the Easter Holiday but I just want to be sure I've understood a few things correctly as it is quite different from the spec I am used to using.

The written paper is Unit 1 and from my research on the AQA website I see the qualification is made up of Units 1 and 2, but some resources I see on here and around the web refer to Unit 3. Can someone explain to me what that is?

Secondly, it doesn't seem that students study one "set text" and rather will have to answer questions on their performance in the devised and scripted portions of the course along with a piece of live theatre they have seen. With that in mind, does that mean the student could be speaking about any play at all as there is no set list of texts approved for use by AQA?

Also, I have seen a few things saying that there are some questions in the written paper which are the same every year so the students can prepare a response (not ideal I know... but this kid needs some serious help!) Is that correct?

Thanks in advance for your help!