1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE - did anyone enter in y10?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Jun 13, 2011.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Hi
    As anyone who follows this forum will know I am currently boring you all to death with my potential syllabus change!
    One more question and then I'll leave you in peace! Did any of the current AQA people try a y10 entry last year? As well as changing spec I am now thinking of getting everyone to do full course, y9&10 focussing on one Unit and then y11 on final unit. Am thinking Units 2 and 4. So... if you entered in y10 how did you do in terms of predicted grades? Are many re-sitting this year? From your experience is the Philosophy or one of the Ethics/Morality units more tricky than others?
    Thanks in anticipation. Poppy - I'm sure you're reading - what are your plans with regard to y10 entry?

2. I pulled my year 10s out the ocr exam this summer following the january debacle. Have been teaching to the aqa syllabus since about April. Haven't entered the year 10s for AQA though as there are certain gaps between AQA and OCR that I will need to pick up next year.
    The OCR mess has truly pushed me to the limit and has left me feeling quite resentful :O(

3. san38

san38 New commenter

With you all the way on this feene. Like you think I will have to stick with it for current y11s but also now planning the move to AQA. I have been with OCR for 10 years until now - I wonder if they realise quite how much they've annoyed people.

4. We teach AQA and teach the same spec to year 10 & 11 one year and the next the following year. Last thursday they sat religion & Citizenship- which took a bit to get our around but basically was religion and relationships, sport, money, muticulturalism, identity and human rights.
    Fingers crossed but there were a couple of curve balls: 6 mark q on religious teachings on raising age of consent to 18. And one on women and men in sport that was not in text although it is said to be written by cheif examiners. There were also hardly any give/state questions so i feel weakest may struggle to pick up marks.
    Next year we will teach Morality again which is closer to old AQA spec: Life, death, drugs, crime, rich & poor, world poverty
    Lack of uniform structure to exam questions and lack of revision resources material main gripe but think we will persist!

5. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Another example of mind reading san! I'm just about to check through my stuff and then email you - be prepared!!

6. We enter our yr 10's for unit 2 aqa and do unit 8 in yr 11. Last year most of class achieved or exceeded their predicated grades (from FFT predictions) so we were pleased with them, then this year they will add the marks from their second exam and we'll see.
    I am cautiously optimistic. We find they really engaged with the Christainity ethics -we do start teaching it about easter yr 9 - so they have a full yr - only prb with doing 2 in one year would have been that both the exams were on the same day - but none of ours resat (only small group of 30 - not whole year though).

7. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks very much for that queststarz! I'm going to start unit 2 in y9 and enter them at the end of y10 and then do unit 4 in y11. Really grateful for your comments on grades - was worried that they might be too immature in y10 but this makes me a bit more hopeful. Do you just have an hour a week?

8. san38

san38 New commenter

Sorry queststarz - could I just ask one more question please? The unit 2 stuff is quite 'geographyish' . I am assuming that the focus should still be on the religious responses to the issues rather than the in-depth environmental issues and have been planning on that basis. Plan to familiarise them with the key issues and what they mean and then apply religious views/teaching to them. Can you tell me if that is broadly the appraoch you have (obviously successfully) taken?
    Thanks

9. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I think poster is doing spec A rather than spec B so unit 2 is Christianity - Ethics

10. san38

san38 New commenter

Ah.. right. Thanks Pete