1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Business Studies New Spec

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by badgerbunny, Jun 5, 2009.

1. badgerbunny

badgerbunny New commenter

Hello
    How is people's planning going with this? I've only just had the chance to sit down and think about it!

Are people planning on doing one exam in year 10 and one in 11 or both in year 11?
    What about the controlled assessment? When are you planning on doing that?
    I'd be interested in hearing anything you have to say!

Nicola

2. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

I am aiming to get through Unit 1 in time for an exam in year 10 and then begin the controlled assessment in the time after the exam and prior to the end of the summer term. This will give any students the opportunity to re-sit in January....plus it will give them something to aim for....
    I went on the AQA course a couple of weeks ago..most helpful it was...looks a breeze it does...switched from edexcel I have.....
    Just got the surridge and gillespie book for it today on inspection as well as Mr Hammans..
    It looks more than feasible to get through in the time allowed and in my opinion, the controlled assessment is great...no arguments...I think part of the course involved getting a scheme of work but I would need to check on this....

3. Hi,a

I am just starting to plan the new gcse, planning to teach unit 1 for june exam, then rest of summer term preparing for controlled assessment and then do it by oct half term, then strat unit 2. Pupils can then resit unit 1 if need be in Jan and by oct half term, with controlled assessment and unit 1 result students will have 75% of mark by oct half term or jan by the lastest.

I have written a scheme of work, adapted from resources given by aqa at exam board meeting if you would like it let me know.

d.

4. badgerbunny

I'd love to see a copy of the scheme of work that you have.
    n.bird@wcsc.org.uk

Do we have any definite dates for the year 10 exam? I like the idea of doing the unit 3 controlledd assessment at the end of year 10 but at my school the last term in the year is so bitty with work experience, sports days etc getting in the way.

5. Dizzy, I'd really like a copy of your SOW if that's ok. Let me know if there are any resources I can help you out with.
    Thanks
    britney1004@hotmail.com

6. can i have a copy of your scheme of work as was not allowed on the course due to staffing arrangements at work.
    if you give me a list of any resources you need i will swap anything i have

thanks
    annmc07@hotmail.co.uk

7. Christy17

Christy17 New commenter

I would love to see a copy also

snk7@btinternet.com

I will email you resources I have completed for the new GCSE.

Thanks

8. Very generous of you. Would love a copy of your SoW. Could you please send to
    jward21.316@bramptonmanor.newham.sch.uk

Let me know what areas would be useful to you and I will forward.
    Cheers,
    J

9. I would love a copy of your sofw if possible. I haven't produced anything yet but will e-mail resources when I have done some more work.
    stacj004@rbwm.org
    Many Thanks

10. Hi dizzy30. Just read your post about the SoW. Any chance I can have a look at it too please for AQA? Never used this board before and am interested to see if I should change. My email is dianecclark1@aol.com

Thanks very much!

11. badgerbunny

There are suggested schemes of work on the AQA website - are these the sme as the ones given on the course??

12. A scheme of work to have a look at would be incradibly helpful if you don't mind sending it on? Email is sammi_g75@hotmail.com.
    Moving from OCR to AQA, but was only decided two days ago which means noone in the dept has been on any courses and it's going to be tight to get SOW and resources done, so any help is great. Hopefully people will keep adding to this thread?!
    Sam

13. I have just been looking at this - but missed the AQA meetings. Do you know if I can get my year 10s to do the short course at the end of year 10 and then go on to do the full course in year 11. or are these banned combinations?

Ruth

14. lord sutch

lord sutch New commenter

The exam is on the 28th May 2010 (provisional) so this leaves plenty of time.......

15. Hi Sutchy
    I have to change exam boards and I was recommendedEdexcel for GCSE Business Studies, Why are you changing from Edexcel to AQA? I'd really appreciate your view.
    Regards

Yorick

16. kenickie

kenickie New commenter

What about text books? I posted this on the other thread but just in case you dont see it

Have looked at the Gillespie one - seems ok, nice case studies and questions quite good depth. Maybe better for higher level students

Have also looked at the Denby one- appears a nice simple book but lack of case study questions. Maybe better for lower abilty students.

Still not made a decision and looking for other books any other opinions welcome.

I am going on the Phillip Allen course in a few weeks hopefully that should give some good ideas...

17. kenickie

kenickie New commenter

Text books.... I posted this on another thread in case you miss it...

Have looked at the Gillespie one - seems ok, nice case studies and questions quite good depth. Maybe better for higher level students

Have also looked at the Denby one- appears a nice simple book but lack of case study questions. Maybe better for lower abilty students.

Still not made a decision and looking for other books any other opinions welcome.