1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Anthology query (old/legacy spec)

Discussion in 'English' started by englishtt06, Jan 18, 2011.

1. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Dear all,
    Hoping someone can help? Am a WJEC boy by heart but my new school delivers AQA. I have inherited a Year 11 class who had a lot of problems with teachers at the end of Year 10 (no subject teachers to be had!) so were quite behind. We're getting up to speed but I need to save as much time as possible. To this end, I have heard from colleagues that the spec outlines key poems from the Anthology that must be covered - can any one tell me which ones they are? I have had a cursory glance at the spec but can't see this. Does the same apply for the Lit poems? I hope so! Thanks in advance.
    ET

2. Hi, I'm chasing you around the forums!
    For English A you should pick a cluster - 1 or 2. I think there are about 8 poems in each cluster.
    For Literature Specification A you pick a pair - Duffy and Armitage or Heaney and Clarke. There are four key poems for each poet and then four pre-1914 poems. For the higher paper (which I assume you're doing?) the key poems for Duffy and Armitage (I don't do Heaney and Clarke!)are as follows:
    Duffy: Anne Hathaway; Before You Were Mine; Havisham; Stealing
    Armitage: Mother, Any Distance; Homecoming; Kid; Hitcher
    Pre-1914: Sonnet 130; My Last Duchess; On My First Sonne; The Laboratory
    The pre-1914 key poems are different for different poet pairs. I'm not sure if this information is still on the AQA site but it's what we're working to.
    Good luck!

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

Thanks so much - I appreciate the speedy reply. So, questions for both clusters come up on the same English paper (not the Lit paper, but the Lang)?
    Oh yes - and cheers for chasing me around the forums. Also appreciated.

For my two-penneth worth, all these poems for so little marks (in the scheme of things!); it's just a memory test at the end of the day (can you tell I'm not a fan of AQA!). I'm enjoying teaching the poems because it's the first time, but I could imagine they'd get old quick after a couple of years? Plus, I don't like the way the mark scheme insists on commentary on techniques to hit the higher levels; some students come out with brilliant personal responses but are deficient on the naming of techniques. A shame!

4. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Well said tophutt! To the OP, please take note of this! The mark scheme rewards analysis and engagement with writers' ideas and craft (which is very different from simile spotting) and examiners love to see excellent student responses which are rooted in their own ideas. I'm glad you are enjoying teaching the poems but I would be much happier to hear you say you are enjoying teaching poetry. Let the students loose on the poems rather than "teaching" them but make sure they always think about pairs or groups of poems rather than one poem in isolation. That way, you and they will constantly reinforce the need for comparison.