1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA GCSE Action Adventure films exam paper - what did you think?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by MrPuss, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MrPuss

MrPuss New commenter

Thanks for this Becky, I had not seen the paper as I've been off school poorly today.
    Sounds pretty much as we had predicted - happy about the storyboard.
    Odd that three questions are essentially Production questions with only one research question - further evidence of dumbing down?

2. sounds pretty good- although why such an emphasis on tv promotion in the breif- if it didnt come up specifically in one of the questions?

3. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Sounds fine. I ahve spoken to some of mine and most said they think they did ok.
    I am just a little disappointed that we covered so many 'current issues and debates' such as whether these high budget/franchises are 'dumbing down' the film industry, 3D or not 3D? etc... and that those more able students may have missed an opportunity to show off their detailed K and U. Hopefully they will have shoehorned some more complex stuff in - somewhere.
    As you say, why TV promotion?

Liz

4. The trailer for Q4 was actually specifically a TV trailer, which is where the TV element came in.
    Whilst I think the paper was generally easy for the candidates who have put in the work in the last 4 weeks, my only criticism of the paper was question 3. From my point of view the understanding of how the pitch will be successful comes in how well the pitch is written and the question is too similar to Q2 and a few of my students felt like they were repeating themselves.
    I had prepared candidates to produce a marketing campaign for question 3, as there was a strong emphasis on this in the brief. To me the only area of the questions which focused on marketing was question 4, which was disappointing. Although I guess I should be happy to get 3 out of the 4 questions right. The students have to stand on their own two feet sometimes...

5. voicelikemans

voicelikemans New commenter

it was a TV advert for the film that had to be storyboarded.

6. What happened to the structure of the exam - have I missed something - thought it was 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and thought that 2B was an either or question - I've been going on about the fact that they have a choice of 2 tasks for 2B as per last year's exam paper - worried now as it might have thrown some of the kids - any advice would be welcome, thanks

7. i found about out about the change to the question numbering - that wasn't really the problem - i really thought there would be a choice of tasks for the pratical question, Grrr

8. The paper surprised me a little. Mine had all prepared TV marketing campaigns and so to have them just explain their pitch was a little too phlagghhhh!!! for me. I do wonder what the exam boards are looking for sometimes.

My kids all felt it went well though and that they had enough preparation and I was pleased that the storyboard task came up - did expect a choice for that one though.