1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA French GCSE Results help

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Lucianolufc, Aug 27, 2012.

1. We were pretty disappointed for a second year with our results and are preparing to be put under some pressure by SLT from next week. Despite us all working our socks off with the students and them generally pulling their weight we seem unable to meet target grades for so many of them. On this occasion it was the higher listening which they messed up on. Some who were thinking of doing AS level French decided not to on the basis of this particular paper which was ridiculously difficult. Why is it that students find French so much more intimidating than other exams? We should be encouraging more take up at KS5 rather than putting them off and making them doubt their ability.
    This is a plea for help really from anyone out there who has some statistical information to support my (and the students belief) that getting a good grade/meeting FFT target is harder to do in MFL than in most other subjects. I have been teaching for over 20 years and try my hardest yet am getting sick and demoralised by my inferior results when put next to other Departments in school. SLT does not acknowledge that certain subjects should be treated slightly differently. Last year to my disgust I was told to observe some PE teachers as a couple of the boys who scraped C grades in French got A+ grades. Is it just me who has to put up with this sort of rubbish? If I was a bit younger I would change career for sure
    Any statistical info to counter this sort of *** eyed reasoning would be really appreciated!!

2. We were pretty disappointed for a second year with our results and are preparing to be put under some pressure by SLT from next week. Despite us all working our socks off with the students and them generally pulling their weight we seem unable to meet target grades for so many of them. On this occasion it was the higher listening which they messed up on. Some who were thinking of doing AS level French decided not to on the basis of this particular paper which was ridiculously difficult. Why is it that students find French so much more intimidating than other exams? We should be encouraging more take up at KS5 rather than putting them off and making them doubt their ability.
    This is a plea for help really from anyone out there who has some statistical information to support my (and the students belief) that getting a good grade/meeting FFT target is harder to do in MFL than in most other subjects. I have been teaching for over 20 years and try my hardest yet am getting sick and demoralised by my inferior results when put next to other Departments in school. SLT does not acknowledge that certain subjects should be treated slightly differently. Last year to my disgust I was told to observe some PE teachers as a couple of the boys who scraped C grades in French got A+ grades. Is it just me who has to put up with this sort of rubbish? If I was a bit younger I would change career for sure
    Any statistical info to counter this sort of *** eyed reasoning would be really appreciated!!

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

If you look on the thread titled AQA GCSE results 2011 you will find 50 pages of comments which will back you up.
    You might find some useful information and data here: http://www.all-london.org.uk/severe_grading.htm
    As for observing PE teachers, that is just plain insulting. Ask them to share ideas for a stimulating starter activity which will engage pupils in determining what tense a verb is in!