1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Extended reading Controlled assessment

Discussion in 'English' started by ginn, Dec 23, 2011.

1. -English language CA.
    Upto four hours?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Yes, up to four hours.

3. No - the reading one is 3 hours only.

4. Oops just checked - 4 hours - my mistake! Sorry.

Not sure students really need this long, however.

5. Elphaba

Elphaba New commenter

Mine did. Remember they have to build planning time into that, and then time to proof-read it. With the Candidate Record Form being scaled down, it puts more emphasis on the students getting the planning right at the start of the 4 hours.
    Good luck with it.

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

We encourage ours to use the time to redraft. Not always redrafting the whole essay but there are usually some paragraphs that can be improved so our feeling is that they may as well use the time productively.

7. anteater

anteater New commenter

I can't find anything anywhere that says the planning has to be done in the allocated hours to produce the piece.

8. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

I agree with you anteater, all our planning is done beforehand. All they do on CA day is check through their planning and write.

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New commenter

What I meant, is they can't do any detailed planning beforehand. Preparation, yes. But, the information they can include on the planning sheet has been streamlined, so I advise my students to plan in greater detail, plotting out paragraph by paragraph.
    Each to their own.

10. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

The AQA planning sheet is no longer required as part of the submission. Plans can be on a sheet of paper.

11. Elphaba

Elphaba New commenter

But it has to be a minimal amount and any sequence of words that appear in the plan will not be considered in the essay. We were also told that students were not allowed to put quotations on the plan, they had to use page numbers. There were exemplars in the standardising material of what is acceptable and what isn't, and they have clearly back-tracked on what was originally stated.

12. anteater

anteater New commenter

We still use the original AQA planning sheet, even though we don't have to. There isn't enough room on it for them to overstep the mark with too much planning, and having such an official looking sheet makes some of the more recalcitrant kids take it more seriously!
    One of the things I dislike so much about CAs is their one-shot nature, when we have spent three years teaching the importance of redrafting and revising work! Our local advisor told us that the four hour nature of the task should allow time for re-drafting and revising.