1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Examining - graded 'E'!

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Oct 29, 2011.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Not if my experience is anything to go by. I went to an E from an A. I also contacted them, explaining circumstances and asking for my previous grades to be taken into account. 'Too bad' was the gist of it.

2. sianna

sianna New commenter

If your main reason for doing it is the money why not change boards? Mark for Edexcel or OCR instead. There's no need to tell them you've marked for AQA if you don't want to, and if you did tell them, they won't check what grade you got.
    If it's for experience of the syllabus/to make your teaching better, threaten AQA that you are going to change boards if they won't let you mark again and see what they say to that. Or, abandon AQA and change exam boards, teach their new spec and mark for them instead. BTW Edexcel English is fab!

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Unfortunately, I'm not a Head of English, so changing boards is not really within my control.

I'm just so annoyed. I can't see how the papers I marked can be so inaccurate given my previous experience. The only thing I can think of is that the admin side wasn't as efficient as it could have been, but that's where the extenuating circumstances come in.
    And it's not my fault the papers got lost in the post. I had my receipt.

4. fantastischfish

5. fantastischfish

I didn't split a centre. I had about 10 really small centres of like 20 - 23 candidates, plus two larger centres. I deliberately started with the smaller centres knowing that if I needed to stop, I could without fining myself in the middle of a huge centre.
    I got an email from AQA today in response to the one I sent on Saturday. It said that they had no record of my bereavement and that because a representative 'had' to come and collect them they were striking me off.
    I've replied telling them that I when I informed them of my bereavement they OFFERED to come and collect the papers and I accepted. This was largely because I didn't have enough sacks to return the 500 papers in so by the time they sent some out to me and I sent the papers back, a whole week would have gone by and time would be wasted, so it was quicker to have them collected. They never informed me that I would be penalised for this.
    Grrrrr, so angry!