1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA examiner

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by rakel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. hi everyone

i've been asked by my ex-school to be their AQA external examiner for the Spanish orals in May.
    I used to be the internal oral conductor during the years I worked there.
    I'm not an official AQA examiner though.
    Can I still do this? is it "legal"?
    And another important thing, they're going to pay me a supply teacher day's salary for 8 candidates (around £100 after tax I guess). Is this money enough? how much are AQA external examiners paid for a day of work? and how many candidates can they do in a day?

Any advice/information is welcome. Thanks very much!

2. hi everyone

i've been asked by my ex-school to be their AQA external examiner for the Spanish orals in May.
    I used to be the internal oral conductor during the years I worked there.
    I'm not an official AQA examiner though.
    Can I still do this? is it "legal"?
    And another important thing, they're going to pay me a supply teacher day's salary for 8 candidates (around £100 after tax I guess). Is this money enough? how much are AQA external examiners paid for a day of work? and how many candidates can they do in a day?

Any advice/information is welcome. Thanks very much!

3. hi

I think this means that you'll be the school's internal examiner i.e. it will be as if it were a teacher conducted test which then has to be sent away for marking because you have the expertise and experience that they are tapping into and they believe the candidates will will be more comfortable with you

you certainly won't be a visiting AQA examiner who would record and mark the tests and send the marks to the Board

4. p.s.
    £100 for 8 candidates is roughly double AQA visiting examiner pay rates and I would imagine it is perfectly legit for you to act as a teacher doing internal teacher conducted orals

5. But Okram the figure you are quoting includes them having to pay teacher release doesn't it? So the examiner would be paid their normal salary on top.

6. Thanks for the info okram, I don't understand what you're saying though brettgirl2...... it's not that I'm very worried about the money. It's just that I want them to pay me fairly because they already did some dodgy things with my salaries when I was there....
    thanks again!

7. teacher release is paid direct to the school where you work or not paid at all if like many examiners you are retired