1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English not being recognised anymore?

Discussion in 'English' started by Sedgers, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

We've been told by our HoD that the government have said they won't be recognising GCSE English qualification from next year. Is this right?
    We're now having to teach the GCSE English Language course to some students who have a target of D/E and obvisouly the Literature GCSE alongside it. The only class who is studying the English GCSE are the two bottom set 5s.
    There seems to be the suggestion that the Lit doesn't really matter - it's the English Language that they need, but with so much to include for the Lit there's no way there will be time to push those D candidates who could to a C and cover everything needed.
    It's hard enough trying to fit it all in with higher ability students!
    Is this what everyone else is doing? Really beginning to stress over it all.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I can't see how it can be - or why does the spec exist and why is it being updated?
    Err - no. They have to have the Lit or the Lang doesn't count - which is why English is such a good option.

3. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

No - we're doing the Lit because as you said you have to with the English Language GCSE. But the attitude is it won't matter if they don't get their target grade as much.
    This doesn't make sense then what we've been told.

4. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

The rule is that they have to <u>ENTER </u>for Literature if they do/have done Language (as opposed to just English). However, there are circumstances such as long-term illness etc (especially where schools run English Language in yr 10 and Literature in yr 11), where students do the Language course (all three units) but don't then manage to do the Literature course.
    I asked AQA what happens in these circumstances.
    The reply: the student <u>will </u>still get their English Language qualification; they won't be penalised
    BUT
    It won't show in the school's league tables
    Make of that one what you will....! (I couldn't resist asking: so can schools who have poor Language result from a student avoid them appearing in the league table if they don't enter them for Lit? Answer: yes!)
    Deep sigh!

5. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Did you see the quality of the CA in the AQA moderation material this year for the English GCSE? Is that meaningful? A school near me enters all in the English language/literature option with the intention of all failing the literature. I wonder.

6. As far as we are aware English will still count next year.
    Please see paragraph 27 of the Department for Education's statement of intent which says:
    "...the following will count as English in performance measures in the 2011 Tables:
    Obtaining an A*- C grade in new specification GCSE English"

As we understand it, English OR English Language count towards the English requirement for a school's 5 A*- Cs and the English Baccalaureate. For English Language to count, candidates must also be entered for English Literature. (This does not apply post 16).
    We hope this helps to clarify.

7. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

"As far as we are aware" = ! Shame the Government don't allow AQA to be sovereign on such things.

8. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

Thanks for your responses... I'm still confused as to why we're being told something like this if it isn't the case.
    However, I'm talking about our current Year 10 students, those who would be taking their exams in 2013. Will GCSE English still being recognised in performance tables then?

9. Sedgers, you're not thinking about the old legacy GCSE English are you? That one is now gone, but the new GCSEs are around for the next few years - well at least until 2014 when the new national curriculum will demand new GCSEs.