1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English Literature - exploring modern texts

Discussion in 'English' started by sammybb, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I am currently teaching in a maternity cover post and have a top set year 11 class. It's only my second year in teaching and I am feeling overwhelmed! This group are obviously bright, but they didn't do as well as hoped in the poetry exam and some need to make up marks in the exploring modern texts exam. I am now having many a sleepless night over this!

They have already read the two texts - Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. Do anyone have any successful tasks that might get them to explore the texts and come their own conclusions on them? They are frustrating because they always want me to provide them with the 'answers', and I know that they need to be thinking of their own alternative interpretations in order to achieve the high grades.

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Give them some model questions and mark schemes, and then get them to write their own, including the indicative content. They'll have to think for themselves then!!

3. Thanks for this :) Getting them to do things is really difficult. The lit controlled assessment has been living hell because, despite being bright, they just could not get their heads around the lack of guidance. I am trying to get them to become more independent as many of them are going on to do English at A-Level. I think they are going to get a shock!