1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English Language UNIT 1 - we need more practice questions!!

Discussion in 'English' started by hoglett, Dec 15, 2011.

1. hoglett

hoglett New commenter

Hi there, has anybody found any? We have used the CGP ones and there are only 2 on AQA's site. We need to do a mock with our Year 11 and we need some new material. Help please , thanks xx

2. Sedgers

Sedgers New commenter

We're in the same boat - except using specimen paper for Yr 10 mocks, and the Jan and June 2011 for the two Yr11 mocks we have, so can't use these at all. I had to buy the CGP papers to use with my groups.
    AQA need to produce a few more sample papers for us to use!

3. Use the legacy spec papers and just adapt the questions to the new spec - that's what we've done. The assessment areas are very similar.

4. I am having the same problem but as a private tutor am unable to get hold of the June 2011 unit 1 and 2 English language papers. Can you help?

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

If you PM me with an e mail address, I can send you the Unit 1 stuff. But if you are doing AQA, there is no paper 2 anymore. Unit 2 is S and L.

6. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

We are making our own using the texts from legacy spec and adapting the questions although there is some overlap.

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Get students to bring in magazines and newspapers; give them the Assessment Objectives for each question. Get them to work in groups, coming up with questions for each of the different Q types; get them to swap their questions with those of another group; get them to answer the questions; get them to swap back and mark the answers of the questions they set, giving feedback on where answers were / weren't successful against the mark scheme.
    Of course, can be broken down into much smaller chunks, (eg. each group do Q1 type, then each group do Q2 type etc. etc.)
    If selecting the three different texts and writing a whole set of questions is too much for the groups, then give all groups the same stimulus materials, get some groups to write a question 1; some to write a question 2 etc.
    This way they will be thinking about the type of questions they are going to be asked and what will get the marks vs. the AOs for each, and be learning from each other. Great Afl, and means teacher isn't spending hours every evening racking brains and searching through media texts for appropriate material.
    Hope this helps!

8. Great idea Caroline EM.
    Thanks