1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English Lang/Lit next year?

Discussion in 'English' started by jennye55, May 10, 2012.

1. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondering how English Lang/Lit will change in 2013, with the move to linear assessment? I'd be grateful if someone could explain it to me!

Thanks,
    Jen

2. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Hi,
    Just wondering how English Lang/Lit will change in 2013, with the move to linear assessment? I'd be grateful if someone could explain it to me!

Thanks,
    Jen

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

There will only be Language exams in the Nov/Summer of Y11. If you enter in November you will submit all controlled assessments and they can take the summer exam but you have to resubmit (not re-do) the grades for controlled assessment.
    All Lit exams will be at the end of Y11.
    We are going to Engilsh only with low ability as a result.

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

There will be few changes in 2013, as things don't go linear until 2014.
    The January and summer exams of 2013 will be the same as now: modular. However, summer 2013 will be the last chance to cash-in English Literature.
    In November 2013, there will be a special final modular series for GCSE English Language and GCSE English. This will be the last chance to cash-in the modular versions of these qualifications.
    Of course, any of the above modular exam series can be 'made' linear simply by entering everything at the same time and cashing-in.
    From summer 2014 onwards, there will be linear exam series in both summer and November. English Language and English will be available in both series, but English Literature will only be available in the summer.
    First time entries and re-sits will be allowed in both series. If a student re-sits, he/she is allowed to carry forward his/her controlled assessment marks.
    There is also nothing to stop early entry. You could, for example, do English Language in the November of Year 11, followed by English Lit in the summer (maybe combined with English Language re-sits). Students may also enter GCSEs in Year 10, if so desired.
    EmmaBB could, perhaps, not drop English Lit with her lower ability students and just split the sitting of them instead.
    (This applies to all boards, not just AQA, by the way.)

5. jennye55

jennye55 New commenter

Thank you for your responses.
    Could you, therefore, do English Language in the Summer of Year 10, then resit in the Summer of Year 11?

6. CandysDog

Yes. Any combination of first attempts or re-sits (in either summer or November) is possible. You just need to have all the English Language CA ready for submission when the students sit the exams (as they are entering the entire GCSE). After the first submission, the CA marks may be carried forward to re-sits. Of course, you will need to fit English Literature in at some point too.

7. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

There's no chance we will be allowed to just enter them once. it just won't happen! It will be entry in Nov & June with all English/Language kids and to be honest, having two novels and a cluster of poems to revise for a Lit exam seems torturous for our weaker students.

I know with the extra time I will get by doing English I can get some of those D kids to a C and that ultimately is far more important than a D-G grade in Lit to go with a D-G gradein Language. As a lover of books and HoEnglish I know I sound a hypocrite but I'm doing them no favours.

Plus, when I look at all the time I lose with them, it's 18 months at best I get with a GCSE course. Argh argh! When do they leave?!?!

8. CandysDog

A tricky one. I guess time is an issue. Having said that, my school trialled doing only English with one of our C/D borderline classes and doing English and Lit with another. There were no more Cs in the English-only class than the combined one (much to SMT's frustration!). So we're back to Lit for all.

You must also remember that English Language and English are different courses. You do a fair bit of the Lit in the English course. It also means that more of the 'harder' stuff (Shakespeare, more marks for SPaG) are shifted over to English, making it arguably harder to get a C in than Language.

I'm sure you've considered all this. It just pains me to see English Lit become qualification for the higher attaining only. I wish England would follow Wales and make Lang and Lit compulsory for all. The analytical skills are so important for all students and English deserves to be two GCSEs.

I hope you get everything sorted out for the linear specs. My only suggestion for more time is start GCSE work in Year 9, though I know this is hardly ideal.