1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English exam Foundation Paper 2 today

Discussion in 'English' started by Thunder Road, May 18, 2011.

1. As a department, my team were hugely disappointed today by the Personal Writing question, Writing to Analyse, Review, Comment. The task was to write about what had happened in their lives in the last 12 months. Well, we had Johnny whose father passed away with cancer last year, there was Ronnie who had a nervous breakdown, poor Lonnie has found it difficult to cope with his parents' divorce, Donnie who has had mental health issues and Connie who has been a carer for her single mother and finds school a welcome escape from her troubles. Then there's our ASD pupils who find it difficult to focus on such a personal and revealing topic.
    And that's not to mention the can of worms that must have burst open today: how will the examiners cope with the openers like 'My name is Bonnie and I've been abused by my uncle for the past year . . . ' that may appear?
    Many teenagers today have their fair share of traumas and tribulations but I have very strong concerns that they should not be showcased or explored in a GCSE paper.
    Are we being too sensitive? Was it just our kids who suffered in the aftermath?

2. As a department, my team were hugely disappointed today by the Personal Writing question, Writing to Analyse, Review, Comment. The task was to write about what had happened in their lives in the last 12 months. Well, we had Johnny whose father passed away with cancer last year, there was Ronnie who had a nervous breakdown, poor Lonnie has found it difficult to cope with his parents' divorce, Donnie who has had mental health issues and Connie who has been a carer for her single mother and finds school a welcome escape from her troubles. Then there's our ASD pupils who find it difficult to focus on such a personal and revealing topic.
    And that's not to mention the can of worms that must have burst open today: how will the examiners cope with the openers like 'My name is Bonnie and I've been abused by my uncle for the past year . . . ' that may appear?
    Many teenagers today have their fair share of traumas and tribulations but I have very strong concerns that they should not be showcased or explored in a GCSE paper.
    Are we being too sensitive? Was it just our kids who suffered in the aftermath?

3. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon New commenter

Yes I was a bit puzzled by that question too. I wasn't quite sure how the students would go about answering it. Whether or not they would open up about something very personal and if they didn't what would they have to write about, a summary of their year?

4. Yes, thanks for that. Thing is, it was either quite dangerous (as in opening a can of worms) or utterly boring. I think my own life is quite exciting but actually writing a summary of it would be dull and dreary to others.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

They will report it to AQA who will deal with it, possibly by reporting it to the centre.