1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA English entry level -

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Karen7, Aug 24, 2011.

1. I am teaching the AQA Entry Level course and wondered if anyone could recommend some fun and interesting plays to read, dvds to watch to support our course and examination work. My pupils have predominantly language and literacy difficulties. We are so proud of their achievements to date.
    Many thanks, Karen

2. Taught AQA Entry level for many years but not recently. Worked with students at levels ranging from P7 up to level 3. I used 'Our Day Out' by Willie Russell and a DVD called There's Only One Jimmy Grimble. The kids loved both these films and there was a wide range of activities to cover the AQA syllabus. Also studied Macbeth which they loved.
    Hope this helps.

3. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Hi, I've used Our Day Out with great success, also Macbeth ( Polanski's film goes down well) and Romeo and Juliet (the Zepharelli usually works for my pupils, some classes tend to see the Baz Lhurman more as a TV cop programme and get bored or let it wash over them)

4. I teach English in a special school with children of mixed ability. We follow the AQA Entry Level. They all enjoyed "Holes" by Louis Sachar. The book is very readable and the dvd was a great success. There is a terrific amount of resources available on the internet to support the studfy as well. Another good choice was "Of Mice And Men" by John Steinbeck, book and dvd. The pupils enjoyed this alsol. It was good to use for the speaking and listening assigment too. Hope that's helpful!

5. would you have a scheme of work for entry level please?

6. Can your students read books like Holes and Of Mice and Men independently? Ours would really struggle and it's something we're looking at currently.