1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Eng Lang Exam - which written task first?

Discussion in 'English' started by ceehorse, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

I have just marked the mocks for my class. It is quite obvious that they were tired by the time they got to the last question and have not done it as well as they could have. It seems to me that it would make sense to complete this task first, while the reading section is fresh in their minds and they are not exhausted from reading.
    Any ideas on this?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Agreed. I've also told mine to get the 16 mark question on the reading paper done before question 3.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Why do they even need to read the reading section? The writing is linked by theme, but there's no requirement for them to have read it before they do the writing.
    Just make sure they do their answer in the correct space in the booklet and all will be well.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

I would have thought that it would be better to do the reading questions in the right order, as Questions 1-3 make them read all three items closely and so they will be more prepared for Q4.
    I do agree that they should do the writing questions in reverse order, otherwise some of them waffle on far too much for Q5 and then end up hurrying Q6 and throwing marks away.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Might be just my lot, but in the mock, many ended up writing just a few lines for the 16 mark question because they ran out of time. Same with the writing. I can see what you mean about the reading paper but I don't trust my grade C students to manage their time and if they have to rush a question, better it's an 8 mark one,