1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Education with Research Methods......help!!!!

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by GruffyMax, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Right,
    I'm going to be teaching AS & A2 for the first time, i'm in charge of the Education & Mass Media units. I've looked over the 'teaching resources' schemes of work from the AQA and the Mass Media makes sense, I know what to do and how to break it down.
    However, I am really confused about how to break down the education & method units, and how much time to devote. I'll have 5 lessons (50mins each) per fortnight & they'll sit the exam in May.
    So, when I look at education i've got:
    • The role of education
    • Differential educational achievement
    • Relationships & processes
    • Educational Policies
    • Methods
    What i'd like to know is how to further break these down into lessons & how much time to give to each. For example, with the Mass Media i'm starting with ownership & control, sub-divided into:
    • Private & state ownership
    • Public service broadcasting
    • recent trends in ownership & control
    • Marxist & Neo-Marxist persepctives
    • Pluralist theories
    • Ideological role of the media
    I'm allowing 10 lessons for the above.
    I'm not sure if it's because the mass media seems simpler but i'm really struggling with this for some reason!! Sorry for the long post [​IMG]

2. Right,
    I'm going to be teaching AS & A2 for the first time, i'm in charge of the Education & Mass Media units. I've looked over the 'teaching resources' schemes of work from the AQA and the Mass Media makes sense, I know what to do and how to break it down.
    However, I am really confused about how to break down the education & method units, and how much time to devote. I'll have 5 lessons (50mins each) per fortnight & they'll sit the exam in May.
    So, when I look at education i've got:
    • The role of education
    • Differential educational achievement
    • Relationships & processes
    • Educational Policies
    • Methods
    What i'd like to know is how to further break these down into lessons & how much time to give to each. For example, with the Mass Media i'm starting with ownership & control, sub-divided into:
    • Private & state ownership
    • Public service broadcasting
    • recent trends in ownership & control
    • Marxist & Neo-Marxist persepctives
    • Pluralist theories
    • Ideological role of the media
    I'm allowing 10 lessons for the above.
    I'm not sure if it's because the mass media seems simpler but i'm really struggling with this for some reason!! Sorry for the long post [​IMG]

3. OK, I THINK this is what I do (my brain has put SCLY2 away until after Xmas when I teach it)
    I do methods first:
    • Defining key terms, what are methods, intro type affair
    • Questionnaires
    • Interviews
    • Observations
    • Official stats/docs/other methods
    • PET/research design
    • Sampling
    Education:
    Theories:
    • Functionalism
    • Marxism
    Differential Achievement:
    • Gender (and Feminism)
    • Ethnicity
    • Social Class (may take a couple oflessons because it breaks down into material factors, cultural factors...)
    Relationships and Processes:
    • Interactionism/labelling
    • Subcultures
    • Sets and streams
    • Hidden curriculum
    Application of Methods to the study of education (REALLY important to do!). This would take me from the middle of Jan (after exams) to the end of April ish. I have 4 hours a week with them.