1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Drama GCSE results

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chardmnel, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

It's a system which turns a 'raw' grade into a mark out of 300. This mark is then turned into a percentage to gain the final grade.

This is a guide to the process.

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/UNIFORMMARKS-LEAFLET.PDF

Once a mark out of 300 is calculated for UNIT 1 (120) and Unit 2 (180) The following boundaries are used

A* =90% 270/300 A = 80% 240/300 B= 70% 210/300 C=60% 180/300 D = 50% 150/300 E = 40% 120/300 F=30% 90/300 G=20% 60/300

There are documents which give the full conversion for each unit. I cannot locate it right now. What it did help me with was deciding which papers to have remarked as it was clear which students had missed a grade by just a few UMS marks.

2. Posts 73 and 74 directly contradict each other, presumably both of them from people who teach this subject from this board.
    ??

3. Retro Bates

Not sure what you mean. Unit 1 was examined last year. I was simply making a point about the difference in the scaled boundaries,

4. I was emailed at school today by a teacher in a school in Berkshire who is trying to co-ordinate a group response to send to AQA. Her email address is sbaxter@stgabriels.co.uk and I'm sure she'd love to hear from people who wish to bolster the size of her response group. I've also emailed her tonight and suggested she put a post here.

I've also contacted (emailed) Ofqual, btw, since I've had no serious response from my contact with AQA. Maybe other people would like to do that too?

5. Marty57

Marty57 New commenter

I agree jencross, we are still at a loss too...and the was the point I was trying to get across.
    I am emailing sbaxter, and hopefully joining in with everyone else in trying to get some action here.

best wishes
    Marty

6. Ah, right, Marty. I got you.

Her name's Sue Baxter, btw. Please can people who read these posts email her to give support?

jencros (not jencross, though I am cross!)

7. I have emailed her too. I hear there is a meeting today with the bigwigs at AQA regarding this matter although I won't hold my breath. Thanks to AQA I have already lost 3 potential A Level students who don't feel they would be able to tackle the written work. How we can manage to get our A Level students through some fairly taxing written exams with grade As but can't get above a D in the written paper at GCSE is one of life's great mysteries! We will be changing boards whatever the outcome.

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Does she mind you posting her email address on this public website? I know I wouldn't be best pleased if spambots started emailing me...

9. No. I have received a very nice email thanking me for my support. Spambots? People who genuinely care about their pupils are keen to take action.

10. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Spambots are automated computer programs that go around the internet and pick out email addresses from sites such as these and then send unsolicited mail.

11. I thought Spambot was a condition caused by eating too much processed meat.
    (It's usually better to put someone's address as fred at hotmail.com to stop automated harvesting programs; they don't have the intelligence to replace with @. Mind you, neither do some people).

12. I was happily in denial until next week. Until I saw all this! Have just phoned AQA, downloaded the 'new' grade boundaries and analysed my results more fully.
    I was actually wondering what went wrong. In ten years of teaching my resource packs, web pages and help sheets have, in my opinion, been more helpful and not less helpful.
    My really, really high flyers got A's in stead of A*.
    I am so disappointed for them and echo what a previous poster said about them now not considering A level Drama.

Perhaps, if GCSE drama results are poor, then students will vote for the E-bacc, and so Gove's evil plan is complete

13. AQA denying any problem with GCSE drama. Wonder where the poster who said they were having a meeting today about it got his/her info from. All my child's year got a lower grade than expected. The highest flyer (doing it fast track along with extra curricular drama) got one of the lowest grades. How could a parent investigate?

14. 2010 2011

A* 63 A* 68
    A 52 A 60
    B 41 B 52 (11 marks more)
    C 31 C 45 (14 marks more!!!!!)
    D26 D 37 (11 marks more)
    E22 E 29
    F18 F 22
    G14 G 15

No wonder we were 1 mainly 2 grades below. 14 marks difference for a C is terrible, especially when we did a mock with last years grade boundaries. YOu don't expect that bigger jump. Talk about moving the goal posts!!

15. Does anyone have any news on the results of the meeting today? (If it did indeed go ahead...)

Will be emailing sbaxter shortly.

16. Yeah, but apart from the grade boundaries, did you get low marks on unit 1 to add insult to injury? It's the combination of the two factors that makes this year's results so lethal for so many.

17. In the immortal words of Mandy Rice Davies, "they would, wouldn't they?"

18. Retro Bates

Don't even get me started on their AS written exam. I've had 6 remarks and they have gone up by 10-15marks each! One candidate went from a C in the written to and A.

Time to sort it out AQA, you muppets.

19. 2010 2011 A* 63 A* 68 A 52 A 60 B 41 B 52 (11 marks more) C 31 C 45 (14 marks more!!!!!) D26 D 37 (11 marks more) E22 E 29 F18 F 22 G14 G 15 No wonder we were 1 mainly 2 grades below. 14 marks difference for a C is terrible, especially when we did a mock with last years grade boundaries. YOu don't expect that bigger jump. Talk about moving the goal posts!!

Yeah, but apart from the grade boundaries, did you get low marks on unit 1 to add insult to injury? It's the combination of the two factors that makes this year's results so lethal for so many.

They are the Unit 1 marks! and mine were horrendous!!!!!!

20. Yes, course they are. Sorry. Friday night brain meltdown.