1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Drama GCSE results

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chardmnel, Aug 25, 2011.

1. The AQA stats may be explained by large numbers of students achieving A*/A grades for Unit 2. As an example my son gained A* for Unit 2 and E for Unit 1 (predicted A*) resulting in an overall grade B. The point being made in this forum is that many high achievers have not passed with flying colours (arguably defined as A*/A overall not A-C) where they deserved to. Were so many A*s awarded for Unit 2 that written exam results were over-adjusted to avoid grade inflation?

2. According to Edexcel web site in 2011, 65.1% of students achieved grade C or above as compared to 79.3% for AQA.. In the old spec the AQA figure was 75% compared to 65% for Edexcel, This means that this year it was even easier to get a grade Cwith AQA than under the old spec. Clearly the majority of AQA candidates have done very well this year; but not the candidates of the teachers posting on this site! AQA has always been easier with more students getting grade A and A* than Edexcel.

3. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

My concern is students who are A* and A in all of their written academic subjects have achieved a grade D or E in their Drama written exam despite closely following the exam boards own guidance and book endorsed by AQA. There is something not right.

4. We have dropped 20% in pass rate and the same as everyone else although we are close to the AQA pass rate of A*-Cs it's our predicted grades for those students and their college places that have been affected. We prepared them thoroughly with the exemplar material and they have achieved high grades across the board apart from Unit 1. We will be emailing AQA tomorrow and seriously considering a move of exam board too. I have an A* student who scored 23 - that doesn't exist on the UMS scaling 14/80 = 22 or 15/80 = 24. What has happened there? Something is really rotten at the heart of AQA this year. If he hasn't been scaled then that is still a G grade for someone who achieved A/A* in all other subjects and who attended all the revision sessions and did copious practice papers and had the A* exemplar as a guide? Wrong wrong wrong.

5. I have just recieved an email from the subject leader of Drama at AQA. She has encouraged me to send some remarks.
    But I was also wondering if anyone has had difficulty with e-aqa and looking at enhanced results. As I had quite a few students whose marks were not showing.

6. ooh, can't wait to get my reply...!!
    I have also had problems accessing results on e-aqa, but i think that is to do with the level of access on my account rather than the site itself. My exams officer is on it and i'll let you know how i get on once i can access it.

7. I have just had an email fomr my exams officer - applied for a number of remarks. NONE of my marks have been changed. Including the girl who got U and is FAR from being a U grade student.
    I have decided my students will do just as well if i just don't teach them next year. I am going to have some serious free time next year. Migth take up oragami.
    Could not be more angry and feel more sick right now.

8. Just want to add my voice to the others here. After last year's excellent results on the written paper, my centre's papers were used for standardisation and whisked away by special courier after the exam. Result? 49% pass rate (after last year's 89%). I've been teaching 19 years and I thought I knew how to get marks on the written paper, and I pored hard over the specimen and exemplar material to make sure I'd get it right. But no, AQA, that's just what you'll be expecting us to do, isn't it? Let's not let the teachers get too confident, eh? According to last year's grade boundaries, I'd be getting a respectable 74%, but with the stupid way they've calculated the UMS, giving too much weighting to the written paper, and the ridiculous grade boundary changes, I'm now going to have to go into school on Thursday feeling an abject failure and needing to supply SMT with good reasons for having apparently screwed up. Thanks, AQA. Thanks a flipping bunch.

9. Totally agree. Feel like the rug has been pulled from under me and wondering why it is worth staying in teaching to deliver a subject that is so difficult to achieve fairly in, and becoming more and more marginilised (thanks English Bacc).

10. Marty57

Marty57 New commenter

This is the reply email from Sue Lewis to my question about marks:

If you haven’t done so I recommend you look at the enhanced results analysis for your centre and the Principal’s Report which is available through e-AQA

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any specific issues to discuss however I am unable to enter into much discussion during the time that any centre carries out Enquiries upon Results.

Kind regards

Sue Lewis

11. How useful. How very, very useful. Especially that sentence about looking at ERA. I don't suppose that ever occurred to you.

12. Ditto Ditto Ditto. Last year my year 11s sat the written paper and got A*s, As & Bs. This year, a similar cohort has got Cs, Ds, Es Fs & Gs - totally wrong. What is going on? We also are at a loss - they were well prepared and came out feeling very positive. If they had Bs, Cs & Ds I would have been disappointed but this is just ludicrous. I too have been told it needs a minimum of 8 candidates to be remarked to trigger a cohort remark - the cost will decimate my budget if nothing changes!

13. Your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine! We had no A*s this year (last year, half the Year 11 cohort got an A or A*!) Our sure bet 'A' students came out with 'Cs' overall! Some of these are going on to AS, but we were faced with "Will I be able to cope with it?" on GCSE results day! Our written paper marks were AWFUL - Ds and Es!?! In their final GCSEs, some of our high fliers were getting 8A* and a B/C in Drama!?! The exemplar written papers AQA send us are poor (in my humble opinion!), yet they're getting top band!?! I believe my students' essays are better....but they're scoring Ds and Es!?! A VERY disappointing year for us.

14. And I think you're on a hiding to nothing asking for a re-mark anyway. The main issue seems to be the new UMS that gives far more weight to the written paper than has ever been the case before, and completely skews the result. That and, of course, the MASSIVE hike in the grade boundary marks from previous years. And dare I say, it's not in AQA's interests to admit they're wrong on the awarding of marks? Better to close ranks than shift the grades up for one centre and open the floodgates. Too much of a conspiracy theory? Dunno... I don't know anything any more... apparently.

15. Many of your experiences are EXACTLY the same as mine! We had no A*s this year (last year, half the Year 11 cohort got an A or A*!) Our sure bet 'A' students came out with 'Cs' overall! Some of these are going on to AS, but we were faced with "Will I be able to cope with it?" on GCSE results day! Our written paper marks were AWFUL - Ds and Es!?! In their final GCSEs, some of our high fliers were getting 8A* and a B/C in Drama!?! The exemplar written papers AQA send us are poor (in my humble opinion!), yet they're getting top band!?! I believe my students' essays are better....but they're scoring Ds and Es!?! A VERY disappointing year for us.

16. I agree that the quality of the exemplar material was very poor.

There are an awful lot of disgruntled Drama departments out there. What shall we do?

17. I am going to touch base with my HOD on Monday and darw her attention to all of these complaints on here. For those kids getting A*s in English (and every other subject!) to be then awarded Es in their Drama written paper is SO wrong! These kids are completely aware that writing an essay for English is totally different to writing essays in Drama...and, in my opinion, were producing A* Drama practice essays. I am now feeling totally lost as to how to prepare my new Year 11s.

18. Well, I've written to Sue Lewis at AQA
    slewis@aqa.org.uk
    complaining both about the UMS that marks the exam out of 300 rather than 200 (see post no. 29 above) and about the enormous jump in grade boundaries that leaves our predicted grades looking very stupid. If enough people complain, the penny might drop their end, although when I spoke to AQA earlier today, whoever I spoke to was denying that there was an abnormally high level of complaints this year. Basically WE ALL NEED TO EMAIL AQA! Please do so, everyone who's on here reading this and feeling like they've been kicked in the guts by AQA.

BTW, there's no point in moving to Edexcel in protest - they're as bad, apparently, but in a different way. *Throws hands up in despair*

19. Retro Bates

Retro Bates New commenter

Based on the grade boundaries used last summer, all of my students have under achieved this year by exactly one grade. The students have not evolved in one year by 15 marks! it is unfair on them. Nobody expected the new specification to move the goalposts so far.

Please direct parents to this thread as it makes for some very interesting reading and will make them understand the horrible situation better.

20. As a parent of a of a yr 10 child whose expected grade was a B, which she achieved in her practical work only then to receive an E in her written work (she is getting As and B) for English I am reading this with interest.

I have rang AQA to ask the procedure for asking for a remark, although I have already approached the school for this, I asked if they had many people ringing up about the low marks. I was told "quite a few".

It would appear that the marks will not be changed so she will have to accept it, but this has seriously put her off applying to do A level drama next year. I would be able to accept it if she had not worked but from March till the exam all lessons were spent going over and over how to answer the written paper. She also had copious notes for each section.

Also as with others on here, a friend in year 11 who was a A*/A English student got a C in her written.

I do feel sorry for all you teachers but I expect a lot of parents will look at the bottom line and ask, what has gone wrong, have they not been taught correctly