1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Devising

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by Giraffe81, May 6, 2012.

1. Hi I'm a PGCE student and would like some help on coming up
    with a SOW for year 9 KS4 (My school has year 9 as KS4) AQA Devising from a
    stimulus. I'm not sure how to get them started and what they could do over the
    4 weeks. I would really appreciate any
    help with games that would be relevant....they are a high ability group.

Also I need to expand my questioning to open questions as I
    seem to be asking closed questions particulary when they are reviewing each other's work, any examples of questions I should ask would be great.

Thanks

2. Hi I'm a PGCE student and would like some help on coming up
    with a SOW for year 9 KS4 (My school has year 9 as KS4) AQA Devising from a
    stimulus. I'm not sure how to get them started and what they could do over the
    4 weeks. I would really appreciate any
    help with games that would be relevant....they are a high ability group.

Also I need to expand my questioning to open questions as I
    seem to be asking closed questions particulary when they are reviewing each other's work, any examples of questions I should ask would be great.

Thanks

3. I know you probably want a quick and easy solution but it's probably worth just taking a step back and look at first principles. Students don't instinctively know how to devise they have to be taught and you have to teach them. This is their first piece of work; ask yourself, what techniques do you want to teach them? Teaching how to devise theatre is not about content or stimulus it is about style and structure. What style do you want to devise in? What style do you want to teach? If you don't teach style they will simply devise in the only style they know ie the east-enders naturalism so detested by most examiners and moderators. It is a style that you only see in schools; a focus on an over complex narrative, lots of short naturalistic scenes like on the telly and shallow characterisation. Use this first piece of devised work as an opportunity to teach some of the techniques and style you want them to use later in the course. Basic question: do you want them to produce naturalistic or stylised theatre?
    Drama is the acting out of stories - don't ask what stimulus do I want to use rather ask what story do I want them to tell? eg don't do 'disasters' do the story of the Titanic.
    There isn't room on this posting to give you any material but if you put your email address in my TES mail box I will email you some material you can use.