1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Controlled GCSE assessment deadline...

Discussion in 'English' started by hardbastard, May 6, 2012.

1. hardbastard

hardbastard New commenter

Ok, who still hasn't posted their controlled assessments to the board, even though the deadline's tomorrow?

2. hardbastard

Ok, who still hasn't posted their controlled assessments to the board, even though the deadline's tomorrow?

3. mkm

mkm New commenter

Not us. But nearly killed ourselves meeting the deadline, amidst a bleeding OFSTED inspection! Also, checking all the marks against the 134,000 different marking schemes was great fun. As was the predicted grades request...

4. I agree - too many mark schemes, too many different requests for predicted grades; I mean, come on - is it really necessary for predicted grades for every unit/exam paper?

5. Does anyone have any idea how many pieces the moderator will request to sample, and when? We know that the two pupils who have full marks (80/80 and 40/40) will need to be sent up (as AQA asks you to send forward the work of the candidates with the HIGHEST mark and the LOWEST mark). I just really hope that our marking is accurate and that we haven't given pupils false hope (hence why I'm concerned about certain candidates' work going off). Particularly for the Spoken Language - not too sure that we have applied the mark scheme correctly, and given pupils 18-20 marks when they haven't evaluated or anything!
    I just really wish that it was still coursework; we've never had problems with cheating, and I think that actually candidates are less likely to cheat in coursework because they can redraft and reword in their own time, and the teacher can emphasise this; it is also a good research project whereby the can work together to work out points for their essays, do some research in books/internet, and yet it isn't as time consuming in the class room as controlled assessment! Whereas for controlled assessment it is pretty obvious that because of time restraints in draft writing and teacher not being allowed to give feedback, they are just going onto essay/study websites and just memorising paragraphs to include in the controlled assessment.

6. hardbastard

Bloody hell. You have people with 80/80? I work in an FE College where most of my students are re-sitters. Some of them have overall marks (not including the S&L) of about 34 out of 80 and several are in the 20s. I'd say the average mark is probably about 43 - 46. Is this not the norm then? A few of the adults are in the 60s and early 70s although even the year group's 'boffin' only managed 72 in total. My God.

Have no major issues with the controlled assessments although it leads to hours and hours of teaching time getting lost. However, the quality of the work is, by and large, dismal. I only get 2 hours a week with the little darlings, and as many are still struggling to get to grips with using commas and apostrophes correctly, it's an uphill battle. Many have only read one novel in the past six years (usually 'Of Mice and Men').

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

That depends on the size of the centre.
    When? As soon as they have recieved your marks. I think the form that comes back into school says within 5 days of getting the request. We sent ours on Friday, so the earliest we expect to hear is Tuesday (more likely Wednesday) which means work needs to be with the moderator on the following Tuesday.
    I refused to give my own students any marks - other colleagues do, but when we moderated in school, some colleagues had WAY overmarked and told the students they'd got Cs when in fact the work was clearly not as good as that.
    Ouch :-( I suppose you'll find out soon enough...I think we might well have some issues this year.