1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

aqa controlled assessment - copying from drafts

Discussion in 'English' started by jovel, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I understand that students can prepare brief notes in the planning stage, but is writing a draft and copying it within the 4 hour assessment allowed?

2. I understand that students can prepare brief notes in the planning stage, but is writing a draft and copying it within the 4 hour assessment allowed?

3. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Certainly not.

4. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

Oops!! Just re-read the OP - withdraw my comment! I suppose so but no one has done that in the last two years for me. It seems a waste of time when the essay itself is such a demanding one. Are you talking about the ELH?

5. I know of children that have been allowed to do this - Would it be possible to clarify the rules?

6. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Some of mine have done this for the Spoken Language and the writing tasks. I suggest they use any time left to redraft paragraphs but few do it properly, So long as you don't look at the draft, and they only have their page of notes, I can't see a problem with it.

Better to write and redraft than write several more pages than needed.

7. Yes, it is the ELH - could I ask why it would be waste?

8. This practice seems to be allowed in some schools but not others. I'm rather confused about the regulations.

9. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

From AQA's advice leaflet:

Candidates may not take drafts into the assessment but some candidates may choose to produce a draft during the assessment period. Any preliminary drafts produced by the candidate during the assessment period must be submitted with the final draft for assessment and moderation.
    Feedback should not be given on drafts prepared once the assessment period has started

10. Students at the school that my child attends were told that only very brief notes( no drafts) could be prepared during the planning stage and then used during the assessment. Have these students been disadvantaged in any way?

11. Oops It's late please ignore my last post! I should have asked why students at some schools are being allowed to copy from drafts taken in during the assessment period?

12. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

They aren't. They can produce a draft in the assessment period, but not the drafting period. They can only take blank texts & notes pages into the assessment. Notes pages in terms of bullet points, essay plans etc. All this has to be submitted with the controlled assessments.

13. anteater

anteater New commenter

Perfectly accceptable, as others have said, to write a draft and a final version all within the allocated time period.
    I wish I had told my class to do this for the Extended Reading piece. Some of them have wittered on for 7 or 8 sides of A4, when, actually, they could have hit the same band descriptors had they written half that amount. Perhaps they would have even done better, as they might have refined some of the points in the second version and been more focussed.

14. Some students seem to be writing the draft at home and then copying it during the assessment. Is this acceptable?

15. cherryaimless

cherryaimless New commenter

No.

Or at least, I don't think so. But who knows? The whole shebang is a blinging nightmare! During the Controlled Assessment sessions, I have students gazing blankly at a sheet of A4 even now, after weeks of teaching, preparation, considering different approaches, discussions, tasks, drama activities, "Making It All Relevant" activities (which, quite frankly seem to confuse the poor blighters: So, can we write an EastEnders episode in the exam, then? ), and finally making brief notes on the sheet itself...which then seem to bear no resemblance to the finished essay!

16. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

NO NO NO absolutely not. All they can take in are BRIEF notes as per the guidance from AQA. They CANNOT take drafts into the controlled assessment AT ALL.

17. Hmm. it seems to be happening at a local school. Really unfair.

18. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

No. They could write a draft at home but they would not be allowed to have any feedback on it, or to take the draft into the CA session.

19. anteater

anteater New commenter

Completely unfair.
    So, the cheating schools all turn in high standard CAs.This then makes the grade boundaries go up. Have you noticed that to get an A in the recent AQA Unit 1 exam, a candidate needed only 54 out of 80. But for Unit 3 (the CAs), 64 out of 80 was needed?
    Another good reason to reduce the percentage of the course that is marked in-house.

20. Are there checks to ensure that schools follow regulations during the assessment period?