1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Computing - Comp2 in January?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Vicky496, May 6, 2012.

1. Hoping to get some advice as I'll be teaching AS Computing next year for the first time. I would like to enter students for Comp2 in January rather than do both in the summer. My plan at the moment is to start the year with a couple of weeks of Comp1 theory, then do Comp2 until the January exam, I'll then follow this with Comp1 practical and finish the spring term with the end of Comp1 theory. That leaves time after Easter to go through the Comp1 pre-release and do Comp1 revision.

Do you think that would work ok? Anyone tried something similar? My main concern is that they won't have had the full year to develop programming skills - how do people get around this problem and still enter them for Comp2 in Jan?

2. Hoping to get some advice as I'll be teaching AS Computing next year for the first time. I would like to enter students for Comp2 in January rather than do both in the summer. My plan at the moment is to start the year with a couple of weeks of Comp1 theory, then do Comp2 until the January exam, I'll then follow this with Comp1 practical and finish the spring term with the end of Comp1 theory. That leaves time after Easter to go through the Comp1 pre-release and do Comp1 revision.

Do you think that would work ok? Anyone tried something similar? My main concern is that they won't have had the full year to develop programming skills - how do people get around this problem and still enter them for Comp2 in Jan?

3. I haven't gone down that strategy, and I agree that the students need a lot of time to get the programming to click.

At GCSE I do 1 lesson a week of programming and 1 or 2 of theory (2 week timetable, 5 lessons/fortnight). this allows me to cover plenty of theory and to have a continuing thread of programming that isn't externally assessed until Y11.

The other thing is the narrative. Comp 2 includes bits on logic gates, fetch-execute, generations of programming language and so on. I quite like that I can tell a story - from high level languages, down through assembler, machine code, fetch-execute and right down to logic gates. By telling this story and showing students how it's all connected I think they get a better education and are also more engaged. I'd be a little sad that focussing on almost modular elements without that underlying narrative would miss something. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, just some thoughts...

4. SageDerby

SageDerby New commenter

We do AQA and do the Comp2 exam in January. We spend a couple lessons at the beginning of the year on number bases. Then spend two lessons a week on Comp2 theory and 2 on programming.
    After the Comp2 exams we spend 2 lessons a week on the Comp1 theory and carry on with 2 lessons a week on programming.
    Has worked OK up to now.

5. Cheers for that! Very helpful :)