1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Computer Science

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by magicaltouch, Jan 16, 2020.

1. magicaltouch

magicaltouch New commenter

Help Please.!
    I need help with the AQA Computer Science NEA Project 2020 due in before April
    Compressing ASCII art using RLE.
    I need help with completing the Algorithm
    Flowchart and Pseudo code
    Python Code
    Just started the Job Jan and it is a one man department.

dalva666 likes this.
  2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Make your management aware that there is an impending deadline.
    Make them aware that you have no teaching materials or schedule/scheme of work.
    Do this in emails so that you cannot be blamed when it all goes pear shaped.

3. moscowbore

Google
    aqa nea task compressing art

4. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Isn't it so utterly depressing that a teacher cannot construct and do a simple Google or YouTube search, to find the answer themselves? I understand asking here for help, but a forum with about 20 posts a year isn't the place to search for help!

5. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

I’d be interested to know why the previous teacher left.

6. moscowbore

As is so common, the op is probably not CS qualified in any way , has never written a program in any language more than three lines and has been forced by management to take on the job.

Drowning person clutching for a flotation device.

7. magicaltouch

Thanks for your reply .
    I have Managed to sort out the Algorithm, Pseudocode and I working on the python code.

8. magicaltouch

Thanks for your reply .
    I have Managed to re-teach Algorithm and Pseudocode to the Student and most of them have completed their Algorithm and Pseudocode. We will go through how to Compression & Decompress ASCII art using RLE next week which might hopefully sort out the python coding of the project .They were able to complete the code for the menu last week. Things are looking a lot brighter now. :)

9. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I've been around a few different schools over the last few years on long term supply, I like to noodle around with the nea problems I come across. I think the rle AQA one was the trickiest. The Edexcel one is ok. I think the ocr one lets you pick from 3 problems which seemed the most straightforward. Typing run length encoding into stack exchange is a good starting point for the code.

Stiltskin likes this.
  10. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

Check out CAS, there are some brilliant resources on the community that people have made that really support. Things like a sample paper someone has made with a load of questions that relate to the 2020 A-Level exam.

Good luck

11. moscowbore

Could you post a link?

12. moscowbore

https://community.computingatschool.org.uk/resources/5755/single

Just been looking at the CAS website. Found this.

I think they are saying that the NEA is important because it is good for students to do a programming project. I would be happy to be corrected.

I teach programming by using project-based work. The projects increase in complexity as the students gain confidence and end in a project where students create a game of battleships. The project is differentiated such that even the weakest students will have a working, if simple, game.

I have never seen programming taught by anyone without a large practical element to the delivery. Any teacher should be able to give students challenging projects to get their teeth into. In short, there is no need for the NEA, in my opinion.

Stiltskin likes this.
  13. dalva666

dalva666 New commenter

Hi, in the same boat as you and not sure how to do a DM to you.

14. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I get students to code things from the curriculum anyway - it helps them to develop both their coding skills and their understanding of the concept - so here's my Python version of the coding part: https://repl.it/@virnuls/Run-Length-Encoding

For decoding, don't forget that you can use three arguments for range(), so you could do something like range(0,len(text),3) to create indexes to split the text into blocks of three characters (using string slicing). Other methods are available.

If you're doing AQA then you might also be interested in Huffman Coding: https://repl.it/@virnuls/Huffman-Coding