1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Comp1 Erratum Notice

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by winterburnrh, May 23, 2012.

1. Just wondered if anyone else is impacted by the AQA AS Comp1 erratum notice that was sent out late this afternoon. It only affects centres using Java for the exam. The notice tells us to change the code that will be given to students on Friday (the same code they've been studying since March), but does not state whether students should be notified of the change. I'm not even sure if I will have time to notify students of the change as the exam is on Friday morning and as it was sent so late I wasn't able to find out if they have exams tomorrow. Just wondered what others were doing? Ta.

2. My exams officer came in and told me about it during a lesson with my Y12s, so they already know about it.

It's a fairly small change, so we just modified the class file and job done. AFAIC the students SHOULD know about it as they are the ones who have to work with the code.

All that said, it's a fairly minor error in a fairly complex program and it hasn't affected the functionality of the program with my class. It did stimulate a little more conversation on the nature of objects as variables, though, so it may turn out to be a positive thing.

3. It does affect the functionality, as previously if the monster happened to move to the cell with the flask, the flask "disappeared" and the game couldn't be won. It's this that's been sorted - the monster and the flask now switch positions. I'll be honest and say that we hadn't noticed the "disappearing" flask, as it's quite an obscure scenario and the player will just be eaten without realising the flask had gone for good! You only see what's happening if you change the display board method to always display the traps, monster and flask.

I am going to run through this with my class this morning, although I will end up covering some object-equivalency stuff that I wasn't planning to do until A2.