1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Combined Science Trilogy: Equations.

Discussion in 'Science' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 26, 2016.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Hi,

I see there is an equation sheet on the AQA site now, is there a list somewhere of the equations that the students will be expected to know rather than those they will be given?

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I think it is more important to understand what equations are, there is no point truing to learn them rote. Students need to be able to write a word equation based on information (often in the question) and balance a symbol equation (often partially written out). What might be more helpful is learning common formulae.

3. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

My understanding was that it is a bit of a movable feast. They are required to know all of them - but only some will appear on the paper. I have used the formula sheet with my year 9s who have started this course - but waned them not to rely on them as there is an expectation now that some equations will need to be recalled. I am not sure how much difference it makes as many of my students who did the old spec never bothered to look at the equation sheet - despite continued reminders throughout the course that it should be the first port of call when a calculation appeared. It was part od my ESC mantra

4. ridleyrumpus

I think you may be coming to this from a Chemists POV. Unless that is you are suggesting that students derive, in an exam, such equations as F=ma or KE=1/2mv² etc then I really do not see any other way than learning by rote.

5. ridleyrumpus

Looking at the equation sheet on the AQA site (http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/gcse/combined-science-trilogy-8464/assessment-resources) for the new course it would seem that they are to be expected to learn an lot of equations. That is unless some have been missed from that sheet.

6. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Point taken. My misunderstanding.

7. Futureleader

Yes one of the key changes is the idea of being able to recall equations. Not sure of the practical use in an Internet world where you can look up an equation. Use and interpretation are the valuable skills. I am sure some one will put me in my place by quoting clear rational for the testing of rote learning and straight recall of an equation.

ananke likes this.
  8. ridleyrumpus

I am intregued. If your students didn't learn the equations or use the equation sheet did they just multiply or divide things at random? (I have a suspicion mine do at times)

9. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

Pg 195 of the combined science specification has the full list of formulae that students will need to be able to recall and use

garmcqui likes this.
  10. Futureleader

Yes. When questioned about why they did what they did it seemed to be random. Except when there was 2 numbers to multiply they divided them and when numbers needed to be divided they multiply them. When they did divide they did it the wrong way.

11. misspiggy82

misspiggy82 New commenter

Edexcel were giving away some lovely free equation posters and a maths guide for teachers. The equations that students have to recall are the same for all boards, so we can use them even though we are doing AQA. I got everyone in the department to fill in their details so we have a full set of posters to display in our labs
    https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/forms/supporting-success-in-science.html

12. Futureleader

teachitmaths and teachitscience produced some useful math for science posters that we use.

13. Edexcelscienceteam

Edexcelscienceteam New commenter

The minimum that the DfE required in terms of equations to remember were the same for all boards, and our posters reflect what is in our specification. If you do other boards there may be more equations than that to both remember and apply, so would suggest not relying on our lovely posters...

Kathryn
    Edexcel science

14. garmcqui

garmcqui New commenter

Appendix B (page 195) at the back of the Trilogy Specification has a list of all equations - those which they need to recall and those which they're given (2 separate lists!)