1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA CA planning sheet help please

Discussion in 'English' started by sommersprossen, Nov 20, 2011.

1. My daughter is filling out a planning sheet for a CA tomorrow in English. She has been told she can fill it with as much writing as she wants to, so she is trying to cram as many sentences as she can on this page. When it is marked, does the examiner look at this sheet and penalise students for this approach? I'm a languages teacher and our students are only allowed 30 words so I'm worried that what she's doing is wrong. Can someone please advise?

2. You are allowed to cram it with stuff, but aren't meant to write full sentences that will be used as part of it. Probably the best things to include are key words/spellings (as they aren't allowed a dictionary in the CA), a brief plan (e.g. key event for each paragraph), and a reminder of a range of punctuation to try and include ( ; : , . ? ! " " () ). The approach is up to the student, i.e. mindmap, boxes, or cramming with writing, but examiners have noted that sometimes a plan that is too detailed or crammed can be detrimental. Sometimes less is more. Hope that's helpful!

3. Thanks. That's very helpful.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

Definitely no cramming with writing! Notes must be BRIEF.
    From the standardisation material:
    "over extensive, over-detailed notes are problematic for two main reasons. The first is that if the notes are so extensive that what the candidate writes in the controlled assessment is little more than a joining up of phrases, then the assessment is not "controlled": the candidate is, in effect, simply copying up something that could have been previously written at home.The notes in that instance are more like a prepared draft than and aide-memoire. Teachers should not allow candidates to use such over-detailed notes.Where notes included full sentences and sequences of sentences, marks could not be awarded for these sections when they were copied in the controlled assessment:the writing is pre-prepared."

5. ...and we don't let ours take it home! We understood that it should be done in school and under 'medium control' type conditions. They do it in class and are therefore checked upon by a circulating teacher and can't copy down stuff from the internet/big sister/mum but are not in exam cinditions...but can use dictionary/thesaurus.