1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA C4 June 2011

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ResourceFinder, Jun 17, 2011.

1. That last question was yuck wasn't it

2. That last question was yuck wasn't it

3. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

I agree, AQA papers this time seem to be less 'scaffolded'. The C1 was OK, but C2 quite hard, C3 uncomfortable and C4 was not liked; the last 3 questions left little opportunity for high C, B grade students to get anything on them. FP2 was gruelling, FP3 lengthy.
    Tougher papers is good, but not when introduced so suddenly.
    Bric

4. Mine liked C3 and C1

C2 was not hated
    We have not had any FMs this year

I agree that the last 3 were harder than usual ... the implicit diff had some weird bits ... They disliked the Rate of Change
    as it was different ... oddly it was actually very easy but that fooled them ... then the final one ... nasty

5. Almost like a proper A level? [​IMG]
    I have not seen it yet but I generally like a harder paper with lower boudaries.
    Is it online for viewing?

6. The last question was a traditional "all the marks in one part ... do it yourself" which I approve of but which is a change

I worked through it with one of my very good students and she had made errors (silly ones) ... I think she lost 4 of the 13 marks ... if the question had given the usual part way checks she would have lost nothing

I prefer a stretching question but it was a bit out of the blue [​IMG]

7. This is what annoys me most about recent papers. Pupils are not accountable for their prior work. Many are 1-2 mark 'feeders' where kids can pick up the next part even if they have no idea what is going on!!

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

What's wrong with students being marked on what they're able to do, rather than penalised for a silly mistake early on in a question, when they're more than capable of doing the rest?

9. It has zero to do with silly mistakes early on. That has been dealt with by follow through marks.
    Its about further watering down of topics to spoon feed kids who have limited ability being able to pick up marks they should never be able to access.
    Prime example is the Edexcel C1 paper this year
    4 'Show that' questions spoon fed, many 1-2 mark questions that clearly shove kids into the right answer and if they fall off the tracks they can get back on at any time.
    Fine to do this with 1-2 at the start of a paper but an A level paper should differentiate between the able and less able and this is further allowing the weak a chance to compete.
    IMO there should be at least 2/3 questions in an A level paper that are 9+ marks (on a single part) and make kids think and make them accountable for their work.

10. This sounds right to me for a last question aimed at testing subject knowledge and accuracy and ability to work through an unstructured problem.

11. As I say I have no issues with the question per se ... just that it threw a few as they were not used to this style