1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA BUSS4 Research Theme

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by theboyridge, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi All,

I have found it far harder to give students examples of industries/ company's that apply to 6 bullet points.
    Can I enquire as to what suggestions others have made? Last year was easy re:car industry and banks?
    Thanks

2. Hi All,

I have found it far harder to give students examples of industries/ company's that apply to 6 bullet points.
    Can I enquire as to what suggestions others have made? Last year was easy re:car industry and banks?
    Thanks

3. Hi theboyridge
    I went to a Time2 training day in London 3 weeks ago and they gave us a disk. My students have really bought into the research tasks - 2 on each BP. They have used a diverse range of businesses and industries including Cadbury's/Nestle, BP, Co-op, Supermarkets, Enron, Big Society etc. We are half way through CSR now.

Hope this helps!

4. Hiyah
    Have a look at my website www.revisionstation.co.uk there is guidance for teachers and for students on how to tackle the theme and also lots of suggestions of teaching threads eg: CSR and BP, CSR and the UK Govt etc. Lots of links to articles, discussion points and videos. Even my blog has CSR and coke and CSR and Binge Drinking.
    Hope that helps
    Sarah Hilton :0)

5. [​IMG]

Wow! Fantastic resource

6. Last year, there was lots of BUSS4 syllabus applicable to "the recent recession" and easy to apply to individual businesses. This year, the absolute opposite... next to no specific material for CSR and an overwhelming amount of material possible to use.
    To be honest, I'd let students choose their own businesses... if they have a natural vested interest in a particular firm, all the better. I don't think research material should be standardised or spoon-fed. Saying that, as a department we are obviously providing students with a core body of material.

As for resources... I have used the following VERY successfully.
    I cannot recommend Dow Chemical enough as an example company for BUSS4.... responsible for the biggest industrial disaster of all-time, Bhopal (18,000 dead, 150,000+ still affected). The Indian people to date haven't been compensated by Union Carbide. American workers and families of course have.
    There is the full movie of "The Yes Men Save The World" here (Aren't they nice?):- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OazUh0Ym8rc
    The Yes Men set up fake websites and are invited to various functions/events pretending to officially represent the organisations they are lampooning.They are invited to speak on BBC World as Dow Chemical to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Bhopal, and announce live on air that Union Carbide are liquidating the firm to compensate the people of Bhopal!!!!!
    This film is perfect in that it attacks the subject in an entertaining, yet thought-provoking way and actually addresses many of the bullet points in the pre-release material. They also take a trip to Bhopal to see the prevailing effects of the disaster, and their stunt.
    Top stuff all round! Have a look at any of the movies/stunts by The Yes Men, as ANYTHING they do, is rooted in CSR and is presented in a very, very entertaining way which makes it a lot more interesting for students.
    Beats being sat on Google hitting "print" or leafing through newspapers.