1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA BUS 4 2011 - urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by schrasa1, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi all

I am teaching this for the first time and am desperate for advice! I am subscribed to Tutor 2 u so feel the section A CSR part will be k once I receive support materials for the pre-release. It is Section B that worries me massively.

I have looked at past example questions and they are so open ended that I am struggling to direct my students.

It is suggested in Tutor 2 u that students should be studying Nokia...does this mean that the questions is likely to be about culture / stratgey / leaders?

I have only just taught the economics side and am moving to technology, but now fear I shoud be spending lots of time of Managing change instead!!

arrggghh, and help, advice, resources, ideas of how to structure essays and what these are likely to be about would be hugely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Hi all

I am teaching this for the first time and am desperate for advice! I am subscribed to Tutor 2 u so feel the section A CSR part will be k once I receive support materials for the pre-release. It is Section B that worries me massively.

I have looked at past example questions and they are so open ended that I am struggling to direct my students.

It is suggested in Tutor 2 u that students should be studying Nokia...does this mean that the questions is likely to be about culture / stratgey / leaders?

I have only just taught the economics side and am moving to technology, but now fear I shoud be spending lots of time of Managing change instead!!

arrggghh, and help, advice, resources, ideas of how to structure essays and what these are likely to be about would be hugely appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Have you looked at past papers and marking schemes - they provide a good starting point. Also search, Tutor2u for exam technique for organisation/layout of answers.

The P.E.E (Point, Expand/Example, Evaluate) works for most students.

Encourage students to read/learn about a number of different businesses so they can use relevant examples.

e-AQA has some very good materials - marked student scripts with comments, which I found v useful.

Hope this helps.

4. brilliant - I weill look on e-aqa - thank you so much. Do you think Nokia would be useful for Bus4 Section B? Can you think of any other companies that may come up for this section?
    Thank you!!! [​IMG]

5. The part (b) element of the essay should be largely a theoretical response aimed at providing students with the opportunity to demonstrate their analytical and evaluative skills after two years of study. Do not make the mistake of asking students to learn lots of business case studies as all they will do is then provide a descriptive essay and not actually answer the question! You will should be covering lots of real world business examples in part (a) and this should provide additional examples which they can also use in part (b) as well. Speaking as someone who marked over a hundred of these scipts last Summer for AQA focus upon getting students to pick out what the question actually wants from them and try to avoid long and descriptive essays as all they will achieve is knowledge marks in the examination!
    I hope that this helps.
    Darren

6. Thanks Darren - thats helpful. I have asked students to collect case studies for every part iof the theory session - I am frightened looking at last year's question that they may not know about a certain industry therefore will be ill-prepared.

Let's say, for example, the theory section on managing change is delivered. Would you suggest lookign at a company like Nokia so they can use this if a question arises about change management?

The questions, I find, are so long winded, they are difficult to break down.

The mark scheme on AQA are also very vague.

Would you advise students to focus (for a 40 mark question) on the content, application, analysis , evaluation style of BUSS3? At what point woukd they bring in example of businesses they know about to support their answers? Application I assume.....

thanks again

7. Application marks are actually awarded for the candidate relating their answer to the actual question set much more than whether or not they are able to include a relevant business example. The Part B element is not meant to examine a student's ability to recall knowledge of a business which they have studied and too many students simply end up describing what they can recall about McDonalds etc. Take last June's paper. The main application marks whether awarded for a student's ability to recognise that in the BP essay, the question was concerning the speed of change within a big business. They only needed to recognise that BP was a multi-national organisation and did not need any indepth knowledge about the company. Many students made the error of describing what they knew about BP and hence failed to address the actual question. For the essay about the bottled water market, they needed to analyse the techniques for large established companies (monopolies in effect) in response to entry of another large company i.e. Coca-Cola. You would be amazed at how many students simply wrote about what they knew about Coca-Cola and did not examine the theoretical concepts such as reducing prices, increased marketing, the extent to which Coca-Cola was a genuine threat etc.
    You need to teach your students how to break down the essay questions and to identify what the core theoretical concepts are that the examiner will be looking for. Students are obviously able to make use of their own examples that they have learnt, but the Part B essay is fundamentally a theoretical piece of work and does not require any more additional information about the company than is actually contained within the question itself. The key to success is ensuring that students answer the actual question set. If all they do is provide details of say Coca-Cola then only knowledge marks will be awarded as I mentionned before.
    The mark schemes are only there as a guide and in reality it would be very difficult to provide a comprehensive summary. However, if you look at the reports for the Unit 4 paper and the additional material available upon E-AQA then these should prove of some help.
    The best advice I could provide you with, is to sign up for some exam marking for the Unit 4 paper. This is time consuming and tiring but it will provide you with an invaluable insight into exactly what we are looking for in a student response.
    Darren

8. <font size="2">Hiyah</font> Good luck
    Sarah

9. Must say Raj, you are not alone. I am in a similar position as an NQT and the only Business Teacher.

I found the above comments very helpful.

Thanks!