1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA B2 24th Jan

Discussion in 'Science' started by ScienceGuy, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

What are your views on the protein synthesis question? Our students found it very difficult!

2. ScienceGuy

What are your views on the protein synthesis question? Our students found it very difficult!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Haven't seen the paper yet (off school with fractued spine) but will check it out in a few days when it is published on eAQA.
    Protein synthesis is only briefly covered under the genetics section as I recall, so I'd be concerned if there was a lengthy quuestion on it.

4. My daughter took the exam and was completely flummoxed.. the teacher had not taught this topic to the children and it does not appear anywhere in the text book (everyone has checked!) Pupils she knows from other schools also had not been taught the topic... So, is the teacher to blame, or the text book publisher? Apparently it was at least 3 marks so they are all worried...

5. ScienceGuy

It was mentioned in the specification (one line) but the question also required knowledge about enzymes and the idea that changing the order of the amino acids would also affect the active site of an enzyme. It was the hardest B2 question I have seen (and up there with the infamous toy helicopter question from P2 a couple of years ago)

6. Were they expecting the link between changing the order of amino acids and changing the active site of the enzyme? I think different protein = different feature (in this case eye colour) was sufficient

7. Yes, I'm still unsure about this one. 9 minutes? 10 minutes?

8. I didn't like the whole paper! I did wonder if a biologist had actually written it? It was so different to the previous B2 papers so my lovely set 2 who did loads of past papers for revision were thrown. Agree with previous comment re report.