1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA B - Six Mark Questions

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by chartere23, May 15, 2011.

1. I wonder if there is anyone out there who has an example of a 6-mark response to one of the evaluation questions on either the Morality or Philosophy papers?

My pupils write lots and well, but I'm just not sure that it's enough for 6 (rather than 5) and would be most grateful for any advice.

Thanks,

Chartere.

2. pete14

pete14 New commenter

Sorry, I don't have an example of a six mark response.
    However, I might be able to provide some guidance. Writing lots is no guarantee of a decent level but it often helps. For level 6, the answer must be well argued - not just presenting knowledge in an AO1 sort of fashion. The knowledge needs to be properly applied to the point of view it is supporting. In addition, the argument must be coherent and there must be much more than a passing reference to religion and it must be relevant. Secular reasoning is fine (for some topics it is hard to find religious teaching to support or oppose some quotes) but there must be a healthy amount of religious argument on the other side.
    Answers do not have to be completely balanced nor have a conclusion, but it may help if they do, especially if in their conclusion they are not just repeating what they have already put.
    Hope this helps

3. AQA recommended a format many years ago which has yet to be bettered. If followed, it guarantees a reasoned, balanced response to any issue and does not require loads of writing. If you teach it to your students, even answers which are poor on quality of arguement (so can't get the highest mark) still score highly because they are none the less forced to be both reasoned and balanced! They must of course refer to religion but not as often as you might think.
    It looks like this:
    " I agree/disagree with this statement.
    However some people might disagree/agree with it. They might say...
    They might also argue ...
    However in response to the first point, I would argue ...
    In response to the second point I would argue ..
    To conclude, I agree/disagree with this statement and the clinching arguement for me is ... (or another reason for this would be ....)"
    Out of the four points made above, only one must be a religious comment. The others can be but need not.
    As I said, this was an AQA formula and it has served our students well for the past 8 years.

4. Thank you very much to both.

I teach a very similar structure but this is the first time we have sat the new syllabus and I wasn't sure to what extent things had changed.

Fingers crossed :)

5. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Fair enough. That's the main reason I chose Buddhism to go with Christianity because it is such a contrast in many situations.

I have to say Pete, you are great with the advice and really appreciate anything you have to say on AQA. I'm a single member department and often feel like I'm feeling my way in the dark. I've found AQA to be less than forthcoming with advice! I really wish that they could provide us with real life examples of both poor and exemplar questions from past exams, plus advice on structuring answers.