1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA As USA 1890-1945.

Discussion in 'History' started by bilbo7, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Hello, Im an NQT starting this year and ive been asked to teach the above module.
    I was wondering if anybody had any helpful hints or tips on how to approach this module as American history isnt a strong point of mine.
    In particular the As scheme of work produced by AQA asks about the end of the frontier and how this effects domestic policy in 1890... I have no idea on this and the book does not mention it! Any suggestions.
    Many thanks

2. Hi bilbo,
    Westward expansion had, by 1890, uncovered vast natural resources - timber, coal, oil, bauxite, gold, silver and huge tracts of arable land in the mid west. The Transcontinental Railroad had been completed by 1869 and opened up trade across America and with it a string of settlements across the mid-west. By 1890 huge business corporations or trusts had been formed such as Rockafella's Standard Oil, Carnegie Steel, Vanderbilt and railroads, to exploit both the available resources and the influx of immigrant labour that had started to arrive in America from Eastern and Southern Europe from the mid 1880s. These trusts had political influence.
    Sherman Anti-Trust law established in 1890 aimed at breaking these monopolies with limited success.
    Trade from abroad in competition with American goods was a major issue and there were issues over tariff policy - this was one of the factors that cost Cleveland the 1888 election to Benjamin Harrison - the Republican Party delegate supported by big business on a platform to increase protective tariffs.
    Sorry its brief but should get you started.

3. Thats a great place to start.
    Thanks.