1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA AS LIT B HELP WITH AOs please...:)

Discussion in 'English' started by MRK1, Sep 12, 2011.

1. MRK1

MRK1 New commenter

Hi all,
    I am about to start teaching Unit 2- Dramatic Genres. I am trying to get my head around the AOs as I want to make sure that the students' coursework titles allow them to hit all of the AOs. AO3 is "Explore connections and comparisons between different literary texts, informed by interpretations of other readers". What does this actually mean in practice? Are students expected to refer to literary criticism? Do they want them to make connections and comparisons to other dramatic texts?
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    R

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Yes.
    No.

3. MRK1

MRK1 New commenter

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply. Could you give any guidance on what they mean by "connections and comparisons between different literary texts"?
    Thanks

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You don't have to do it. You're writing about one text. The most you can do, which does hit the AO, is to discuss the nature of tragedy.

5. the best thing you can do is look at the examiner's report for this particular unit of work. it will tell you exactly what it is you need to do to hit the assessment criteria properly. i don't do the aqa spec, but some units of work are weighted more heavily on the critcal aspect of ao3 and others on comparisons.
    looks like for this particular unit the focus is on critical interpretations/meanings rather than comparing - if it's only one text you are studying you can't really compare it with itself.
    so, yes, in that case students will be expected to read/refer to/analyse/comment upon a range of different critical views on that text.
    by connections and comparisons they mean look at the similarities and differences between different critical views and weigh up whether they are good, bad or indifferent and give reasons / support your view with evidence

6. ignore that last paragraph, it's not appropriate for that particular unit of work ... i'm talking rubbish!

7. i'll send you the examiner's comments on AO3 and some activities that show you how to focus on AO3 - it's probably for a different text to the one you are teaching but the principles are the same and you'll be able to adapt them
    and i'll send you some materials that show students what each of the AOs mean and how to analyse texts appropriately ... it's too hard to explain - you'll see what i mean ...