1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA AS Compositional Techniques: Controlling Texture (2-part). Help with exercise requirements?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Xanathar, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Any idea?

2. I've just searched controlling textures as I'm having the same problem! Surely someone somewhere has an idea? Mine are A2 students resitting... any thoughts/help appreciated (I also have the Hugh Benham Books and feel similarly) [​IMG]

3. no idea - I moved away from it as AQA would give me no help and no advice or guidance whatsoever... My head forced me into a change and I'm now with OCR. I rang AQA to tell them that they were about to lose our centre and they showed absolutely no concern at all.

Good luck - I hope you succeed where I failed.

4. I've taught H & C using Kitson Elementary Harmony which is a dinsaour of a book but has a good syllabus. Have put the 1920's rhetoric into student speak and used the exercises (I put them into Sibelius files so they could work interactively) I advised the students strongly to avoid Brief A on this question - Bach chorale is not their natural idiom and from the look of the 2-part the texture is like trio sonatas of Handel, Coreli etc. The last AQA meeting I went to on this everyone who had students do Brief A was moaning about low marks, so much so that AQA have now made you state on the entry which brief has been attempted so they can monitor this. You can change which Brief was attempted part way through though so not everything is bad news, the total time for the coursework must not exceed 20 hours so if they have changed direction the clock is still running.
    Any work they have done on Bach harmonisation etc is not wasted because pastiche is acceptable but get them to put it to good use on either the arrangement (Brief C) or the free composition (Brief B). One approach to this could be to do an instrumental theme and variations (predictable - look at some theme and variations see that they develop by modulation to one of 5 closely related keys, take motifs out of the theme to develop, don't always use the whole theme etc).
    Free composition can be approached in similar way using 4 'voices' (Flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon) Avoid using voices as word setting is taken into account and in my experience few students are truly competent at it!
    Hope this helps

5. Xanthar: totally agree with you. I found a document on the AQA website that did give me a slightly clearer indication of what is expected, a call to my AQA representative also yielded a specimen model example which also helped. It's so vague, I will be so angry if excellent students are short changed by my lack of understanding of the board's expectations.

6. A lot of my A-Level students got short changed by a combination of AQA's lack of specific guidance and their vague and subjective mark scheme. - It was just a lottery, grades could never be predicted accurately.

In the end I gave up with them and have never looked back!