1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA AS Biology - Taxonomy Question

Discussion in 'Science' started by llewell, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    I am delivering AS Biology for the first time and have just started the subject of taxonomy.
    The AQA specification is not clear as to what depth my learners need to know the taxonomic hierarchy.
    They know the overall structure: kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species.
    I have covered the five kingdoms but have only drilled down to the vertebrate chordates.
    Is this sufficient or are there other groupings they are required to know? I do not want to clutter their minds with unnecessary information.
    Any guidance will be gratefully received.
    Len

2. Hi
    I am delivering AS Biology for the first time and have just started the subject of taxonomy.
    The AQA specification is not clear as to what depth my learners need to know the taxonomic hierarchy.
    They know the overall structure: kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species.
    I have covered the five kingdoms but have only drilled down to the vertebrate chordates.
    Is this sufficient or are there other groupings they are required to know? I do not want to clutter their minds with unnecessary information.
    Any guidance will be gratefully received.
    Len

3. Look at some past papers (and their mark schemes) on the topic. This should give you a feel for how much pupils have been expected to know in the past.
    I am not a biologist, but this would be my first port of call.