1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA AS and A2 papers - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by redpens, Jun 19, 2011.

1. They seemed to think AS was OK .
    Some found the A2 hard in places. I must say the question about "ghettoisation" was placed in a particulary hard context - especially as politics is no longer on the content list . I also thought the range of titles in the cultural topic section ranged from sitters to quite hard! At least they have a choice.
    Willing to stand corrected on this one but the board had said they were removing context from what had to be taught about a book etc - yet there was a question on influences. Doesn't this overlap to some extent? Thankfully mine all did the "what impressed you question" which can be answered in many different ways.

2. Sorry - should have said in the title - I'm talking about the French papers here.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

AQA AS French seemed pretty standard.One or two of my students thought the listening may have been a tad harder than usual. Cloze sentences were standard - still no subjunctive and the obligatory "Si + imperf + conditional". Essays fair.
    Haven't seen the A2 paper yet.

4. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I thought the A2 paper looked fair. Went through it with my students, although they felt the multiple choice gap-fill was hard as it happens they seem to have got the answers right, so it was possible. The translations looked ok, and I couldn't believe how similar the essay questions were to previous papers - I think one of the Theme 5 questions was exactly the same as the specimen paper. All in all I thought it was ok - now if for once they could get the marking of the speaking right, I'd be a very happy bunny! [​IMG] (<- this is meant to be a bunny)

5. Yes I think that the A2 essay titles will start to come round again soon - though I still think some of them this year were a bit odd compared to others which were just variations on a standard theme.
    I went through all the previous AS titles and by process of elimination I guessed what essay topics would come up - was right on 2 out of 3 counts in both French ad German so was quite pleased with myself!

6. I was a little disappointed that in A2, AQA's obligatory hommage to Abbe Pierre and les restos du coeur had disappeared - after I bet chocolate that it would be there! It would also seem that the senior examiners had been a bit too busy mugging up on the environment for 50% of the questions to attempt originality in the lit questions - but I'm not complaining (until results day that is :) )