1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Applied ICT Single and Double Award

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by showarth, Dec 12, 2011.

1. We are currently running both the double and single awards for the AQA Applied ICT qualification. The exam board have now indicated that they will no longer be offering the course as of 2012 (meaning that we will not be running it next September). Numbers for the course have remained farily consistent over the last few years and following a recent college open evening we are farily optimistic on the intake for next September.
    We will be offering GCSE Computing next September with a view to including the A level over the next two years (but not just yet).
    I guess I'd just like to know is if anyone can suggest any other credible suggestions for the Appiled course. We don't really want to go down the BTec route and so are looking at AS / A level qualifications.
    Anyone in a similar situation? Thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed!

2. We are currently running both the double and single awards for the AQA Applied ICT qualification. The exam board have now indicated that they will no longer be offering the course as of 2012 (meaning that we will not be running it next September). Numbers for the course have remained farily consistent over the last few years and following a recent college open evening we are farily optimistic on the intake for next September.
    We will be offering GCSE Computing next September with a view to including the A level over the next two years (but not just yet).
    I guess I'd just like to know is if anyone can suggest any other credible suggestions for the Appiled course. We don't really want to go down the BTec route and so are looking at AS / A level qualifications.
    Anyone in a similar situation? Thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed!

3. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

I am in the same boat. We offer AQA GCE Computing and I found the Applied ICT course to be a good contrast for students who are less techie.
    I had a quick look through the specifications for ICT last night and prefered the look of OCR to AQA, as it seemed to have a lot more content, which I prefer, as opposed to teaching a lot of exam technique.
    I would really appreciate any advice from people who have taught the straight GCE ICT courses.