1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA ADDITIONAL SPECIMEN PAPERS - GRADE BOUNDARIES

Discussion in 'Science' started by sciencebloke, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Does anyone have the grade boundaries for the specimen papers for this exam found on AQA website....Mys econd in charge manage to find the specimen papers on the website....Should I take 70% of total marks roughly as the A* grade...and on foundation..70% as c grade...

sciencebloke

2. Does anyone have the grade boundaries for the specimen papers for this exam found on AQA website....Mys econd in charge manage to find the specimen papers on the website....Should I take 70% of total marks roughly as the A* grade...and on foundation..70% as c grade...

sciencebloke

3. There are none published for the specimen papers. We used them as mocks and moderated after the exams were taken to come up with grade boundaries (for separate sciences). In fact, the boundaries we ended up with were not disimilar from the 'legacy' grade boundaries for the co-ordinated papers.

4. Thanks

You would have thought AQA would have done this for the specimen paper..

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

AQA or any exam board will only set grade boundaries after an exam has taken place and they have lots of results to go on. Obviously this process has not happened for the specimen papers so rather than guessing (and getting lots of complaints from us when it turns out to be different in the actual exams) they say nothing which also generates lots of complaints.

I can't see why they don't level the questions (as happens in the SATs) so the teachers could make a reasonable judgement as to what would be expected

6. Our HOD called the aqa board and they said the best indicator were the grade boundaries for the summer exam. This was the average mark of all three papers. If I remember correctley we worked out the grade boundries to be

Higher A* 73%, A 62%, B 50%, C 39%, D 27%

Foundation C 55%, D 46%, E 36%, F 27%, G 17%

Hope this helps

kayelizabethcarpenter likes this.
  7. That looks similar to the boundaries we used for higher tier papers.