1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA A2 music 2017. URGENT- mistake in exam question

Discussion in 'Music' started by cuboid1234, Jun 22, 2017.

1. cuboid1234

cuboid1234 New commenter

Hi everyone
    Question 1 in this years exam refers to an extract which is ".... in the tonic key of D major". One of my candidates with perfect pitch spotted that the extract played was actually in D flat major. I think we can all guess what has happened here - they picked a recording (Corelli) which was on period instruments and at 'baroque pitch'. This candidate was effectively transposing (once she realised what was going on) and so was at a disadvantage. I took this up with AQA , and instead of 'fessing up I have just received the most shameless piece of wriggling I think I have ever seen. Here is the most egregious excerpt ....
    However, as is mainstream for Baroque music, these instruments are tuned to A=417Hz so to our modern ears, it could sound like D flat major.
    "
    could sound like?!" It does sound in D flat! Their whole reply was so high handed and dismissive. They have cocked up, don't want to admit it and are trying to brazen it out.
    Can I urge anyone to query this with AQA. They have to be taught to check their excerpts more carefully. And to come clean when they make a mistake.

2. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

Surely an A2 student should be aware of the concept of Baroque pitch? It's not a mistake, it's modern performance practice.

3. musicteacher2007

musicteacher2007 New commenter

Agreed - would fully expect that a recording of a baroque piece might be at baroque pitch. No issue here.