1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA (A) Shakespeare/Lit Heritage - Marking Help Needed!

Discussion in 'English' started by fantastischfish, Jun 8, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Can anyone advise what they would do?
    I am getting on with marking these essays recently completed by year 10. This first essay is excellent in terms of language analysis, well-developed and sophisticated engagement with ideas and language, lots of very perceptive points and solid links drawn between the two texts (R+J and A Christmas Carol).
    But the student has neglected the social and historical context buillet point horribly, despte very clear teaching on this bit. She has not made reference to the context taught on Elizabethan relationships/love, the penchant for pale women, the role of women and men within society; no comment on Dickens' attitude towards the poor or Dickensian London....I despair!
    I'd say she's a solid band 4 with elements of band 5 on all other bullet points, but there is barely a glimmer on S+H context.
    Where would you place her?
    Many thanks in advance
    Eva xx

2. ulysees

ulysees New commenter

decide on band and mark then reduce by 1 mark for missed bullet point as per mark scheme instructions. It's best fit still and unlike legacy Shakespeare and prose coursework the emphasis on S+H is not as strong . Before if that was missed out they couldn't achieve higher than a D or a C or something like that. Check the mark schemes if it's AQA I think what I've said iswhat they say but who knows? I'd be tempted to give band 4 reduce mark to one below top of band and explain what she needed to do to get band 5 in comment. Or better still when you give them back give them a copy of the mark scheme dicuss and get them to write their own targets for improvement.

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I would ask your coursework advisor - it is what they are there for.
    Also, it sounds like you are looking for very explicit context; is there
    some more implicit context there- you don't say what the title is, but if it is about relationships, say, then these are context - whether they are successful or unsuccessful - R&Js relationship with her father is based on his power over her - a traditional father-daughter relationship which is, IMO, a context borne out of the question. Her rejection of his choice for her is a universal element of f/d relationships, so again, a discussion on this, to my mind, IS contextualising Lord C's and J's relationship within the context of father/daughter relationships. Similarly, if student has discussed the master / servant relationship between Scrooge and Cratchett, then s/he is contextualising that relationship within the framework of a master / servant relationship - again, I think this is implicit context. (Our mantra at A/S level is "the context is in the question..."
    But just to reiterate - I would ask for advice. That way, whatever you get back in writing you can attach a copy to the essay, so that if/when it goes for moderation you have followed what you were told.
    I hope this helps

4. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

All your points relate to historical context but the scheme asks for social, cultural and historical context. Has she commented in any way, implicitly or otherwise, on social/cultural context?

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

In this case, it sounds to me like she might be around 30 - but without seeing it, it's hard to judge. If it were solid 5 in all other respects, then it might well be 38 - but it does depend on the rest.
    What a pain though!

6. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Thank so far guys. Some more info to make things a bit clearer. The question is the one about contrasts within or between characters, so we've looked at Romeo before and after meeting Juliet, and Scrooge in staves 1 and 5. Fairly simple premise.
    I've taught generaly context about relationships and marriage, the role of man and woman/wife, expectations of men and women for R+J and then also taught about how Scrooge is used as a tool to reveal Dickens' views on the treatment of the poor, the mention of workhouses/poor law etc. But there is literally not a glimmer in her essay, and several others I've found....it's as though I was talking to myself!
    So I think the plan now is to stop marking, remove any comments I've already put on and then do a general "These were some common errors" lesson before giving students another hour (they only took 3 or the allowed 4 anyway) to add anything they feel they need to; I won't be pointing out where though, they can self-edit.
    Hopefully that's not too far outside of the rules. Most of all, I want them to be able to show how the writers' ideas are revealed as this will be an important part of the Literature exam too, so I want to ubild up the skills....I think S+H (+C) context is an important part of this, especially with Dickens since the whole novel is a social commentary.
    Any further advice appreciated. But thanks for what you've said so far.

7. That way, whatever you get back in writing you can attach a copy to the essay, so that if/when it goes for moderation you have followed what you were told.[​IMG]

8. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Not too far outside the rules? It seems like blatant cheating! Take in everyone's essay, start marking, stop, give them back and say in your most subtle voice, "I know we finished these but, ahem, A 'FEW' PEOPLE FORGOT TO WRITE THESE POINTS DOWN: (insert list.) Now, I'll just look the other way while you self-edit." Also, if you do (gasp) mark what the kids independently submitted, you would need to knock of a mark or two (I don't have the mark scheme to hand) as another poster wrote, but also knock of the marks for each of the other lower bands where they failed to address the context points. So rather than one or two ish points down it might be 4/8 ish.

9. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

No - it's cheating. AQA English posted this:
    As with all controlled assessment, there should be no teacher intervention once the assessment period has started.
    Source: https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/481973.aspx?PageIndex=9