1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA A Level science practical assessor

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Physics_Guru, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Physics_Guru

Physics_Guru New commenter

Hi,

I’m due to become an A Level science practical assessor next academic year (2018/19).
    It’s £80 Per day + expenses, which is on the lower threshold of what I thought I may be paid, but not surprised.

My question is this - will I be taxed as a second job (which I think may be 50%, but correct me if I’m wrong) or do AQA have some other method of remuneration where the tax is less?

If the tax is as high as 50%, then £40 per hour is definitely not worth my time.

Thanks all!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

There is no such thing as being taxed as a second job. You get taxed on your total income. All your personal allowances will be used in your main job, which means that you will be taxed at your marginal rate on your new job - 20% if your total income is no more than £46,350 and 40% above that. It does go up if you earn more than £100,000 but I doubt if anybody on that would accept a job on £80 per day!

3. LauraHester

LauraHester New commenter

I did this 2-years ago, and the pay situation is exactly as you say in that you are taxed. You should still be paid as normal by your school so the £80 is a kind of ‘bonus’ as it is the experience that is most worthwhile. Having said that, I declined to do it last year when asked as I completely underestimated exactly how long it would take me to write the reports!

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

£48 net for a day is pretty measly - they probably only get enough people because a retired teacher who is not paying tax will get the full £80.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Do you mean a retired teacher who is not getting a pension. If they are getting enough pension to live on, they are probably paying tax.

border_walker likes this.
  6. LauraHester

LauraHester New commenter

It is a bit measly, but I was still being paid by my school for the time I had off so saw it more in terms of experience. AQA provided release vouchers to pay for the cover. I dont think I met anyone doing it who wasn't still employed somewhere else (mainly schools and universities), and I assume like me still being paid.