1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aqa a level physical education practical coursework - is new spec harder?

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by cschulze, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I wondered if anyone had seen any difference in their average marks for the practical aspect of the a-level. I've only experienced teaching the OCR alevel spec and found their new 2009 spec to really improve the alevel overall However, since joining a new school as a head of sixth form I wanted to get some info as the pe dept there has found their practical marks to be very poor since teaching the new spec.

2. I wondered if anyone had seen any difference in their average marks for the practical aspect of the a-level. I've only experienced teaching the OCR alevel spec and found their new 2009 spec to really improve the alevel overall However, since joining a new school as a head of sixth form I wanted to get some info as the pe dept there has found their practical marks to be very poor since teaching the new spec.

3. I am changing to WJEC because of the practical aspect of AQA, OCR etc.
    I teach quite elite sporting students and am sick of being questioned about the high marks we give them.
    I keep explaining that they are mostly on an AASE or other development squad and so are playing at a higher than average level - hence the minimum of a 4 (out of 5) for their performance criteria.
    It beggars belief when a student with a pro contract, or is playing for the national squad (rugby, netball and football), can have their performance grade queried when I know that the school down the road still gives its best performer a 5 and ranks the others based on that! THAT is wrong but they don't seem to be overly punished for it.
    The other reason for the swap is that WJEC allow fully competitive performance at AS. We have found it very difficult to get our best students evdience of the AQA skills in modified practice. Imagine asking a Team GB coach to drill any of the OCR/AQA skills - they tend to giggle.
    So we will swap to WJEC and film all competitions. That and we will add in the fitness instructor certificate for those taking the fitness route! It is so much more relevant and useful!!!

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant. But I really do not like the way the new spec's practical element is going.