1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA A legacy Eng Lang November exam

Discussion in 'English' started by gruoch, Jan 17, 2012.

1. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Does anyone know what the C/D grade boundary was? And how did it differ from June? (H)
    I girl I tutored got a D and she was a definite C candidate. My school has no November resits, so I can't check on eAqa.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I think what you're looking for is here:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_grade.php?id=04&prev=

3. gruoch

Thanks for that - but I can't seem to make any sense of it. [​IMG]

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Well, my understanding is that in June, she had to get 324 and in Novemeber, 321 was enough for a C in Higher tier.

5. Higher grade boundaries went down to 321
    Foundation grade boundaries went up to 310 - seemed like a huge rise!

6. gruoch

Dammit - she must have really Xed up somewhere.
    Thanks.

7. Does anyone know if there is another resit available for this exam? I have some students who didn't get their C grade and want another opportunity. I checked the AQA website and it says that November was the last re-sit, but people are telling me they have a chance in March 2012. Is that accurate?

8. The vast majority of our year 11 cohort was entered for this exam and students who I would have put money on getting a C got a D. Never in the history of our school have there been so many D grades. We've sent papers back for remark but as yet have heard nothing. Has anyone else experienced this?

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I used to examine for this paper, and as far as I know, it's finished now. We've all been moved over to new spec.

10. Hi,

We are in the same boat as you; our results, for the first time, showed a huge disparity against predictions, with almost forty 'guaranteed' C grade students being awarded Ds - our centre was, I have just discovered, chosen as one for standardisation marking so we have no chance of trying for a raise through re-marks. We are now banking on the New Spec; exam' in May to get anywhere near to the results that SLT are insisting on. The raising of the C grade boundary, from 294 in May to 310 in November, meant that we now have twenty-four students who were within four marks of the new and fraudently raise boundary.

We also keep hearing, from markers and links within AQA, of inconsistencies within marking and a political desire to reduce the number of Cs awarded to a amximum of 60% - no proof, obviously, but disconcerting all the same - it certainly appears, from recent AQA CPD sessions, that students are being punished for what they didn't write rather than rewarded for what they did!