1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA A Eng Lit Text choices (Paper 2 - Texts in Shared Contexts)

Discussion in 'English' started by nicolaphillips08, Aug 26, 2019.

1. nicolaphillips08

nicolaphillips08 New commenter

Hi all,

Would be interested to hear how you prepare your students for Paper 2 (Option B - Texts in Shared Contexts), and which text you teach for Section A, and then which pairing for the comparative?

We will be studying: A Streetcar Named Desire, Skirrid Hill and The Handmaid's Tale.

Thinking about which to recommend for which section, and wondering what others are doing?

Thanks,

Nicky

2. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

We do Skirrid as the solo text, then comparative Handmaid/Streetcar. My KS5 lit lead felt that students would write better about poetry in isolation (as they can bring together poems) and that it was easier to compare the play/novels thematically. Similarly, by using prose in this section it made it easier to teach unseen prose alongside.

3. thecagedbird

thecagedbird New commenter

Our Literature class is shared and I teach Paper 1; but my partners teach Feminine Gospels, The Handmaid’s Tale and A Streetcar Named Desire. Think he lets them chose which is the section a text based on what they think is the best question for them.