1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

APS Progress

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Nov 2, 2011.

1. A niggly question, if people in the know don't mind answering!
    As a school we are just getting our head around average points scores, and calculations of progress in terms of average points scores.
    I know that one sub level progress is 2 APS progress, as each sublevel is worth 2 more points than the previous sub level.
    However, a working towards (3) is worth 4 points less than a 1C (7).
    Does this mean if a child moves from P8 to 1C they have already made 4 APS progress?
    If so, does this not make Year 1 data on the whole look really good in terms of progress as many children are baselined as P7/P8 and move to 1C or above during the year?
    It seems a bit odd to me.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

It is.
    It's because it's based on the idea that actually the whole levels are worth 6 points, so Level One is 9pts, Level 2 is 15pts, etc. Because of the further nonsense of sub-levels, we now have the idea that there are 2 points per sub-level. But for levels that don't get broken down (i.e. W, or L3 in Y2), the points just presume the middle of the level, so 3 points for W and 21 points for a L3.
    In theory this means that a child who might move from being just a fraction below L1 at the beginning of Y1 to just scraping a L3 in Y2 has in reality moved up about 2 levels, but gets credit for moving from 3 to 21 points... or 3 whole levels worth.
    So... "a bit odd" is an understatement.
    I'd go for "a complete joke" myself.

3. This does work, but not in the same way as KS2. You can give each sub-level (wc=1, wb=3, wa -5, 1c- 7, 1b -9, 1a=11, 2c=13, 2b = 15, 2a=17 etc) and although you have this ridiculous anomaly at Ks1 with all L3's being 3bs, you can still calculate progress.

However, in years 1&2 children need to make 12 points progress, AS THE CHILDREN DON'T ENTER Y1 ALL AT WC, so each teacher should be putting on 6 points. Most teachers in my experience can do this. The problem is that often the first Y1 assessment against NC levels instead of EYFS is November which is a bit unfair on the Y1 teachers as the children would have made progress during the first 8 weeks which need taking into account. To overcome this, our Y1 teachers and EYFS staff agree an assessed entry level in early October and have PM targets based on % of children achieving L1a or L1b by end of year (85% + depending on the cohort) as this is fairer but just as challenging and focuses us on early intervention so that the gap doesn't start to open.