1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

April start - when will I be paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by skellig1182, Feb 14, 2016.

1. skellig1182

skellig1182 Senior commenter

Hi everyone,

I've searched on the forum but haven't been able to find the answer.

I have supplied for the last year and decided to take a 1 year fixed term maternity contract starting after the Easter in April. The head has kindly given me my next payscale M6. I am not currently in a job so will not be paid at the end of April.

I just wondered when the first salary would be paid and how? I will be back I believe on the 11th of April ish. Would you be paid pro rata at the end of April or a bigger amount at the end of May?

Many thanks :)

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Your new school will give you the best answer on this.
    Typically paid towards the end of each month.
    Initially tax may not be correct, but usually gets sorted quickly.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Assuming a late-April pay-roll date, the main thing will be to make sure that they have your bank details, etc, in time to add you to the pay-roll run. Ask before you start, so there's plenty of time to fill in any forms, and then follow up when you start (as I guess they may not actually put the forms through until you've actually started).

4. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Make sure you get your P45 from supply asap - mine was delayed from my previous school and I had a larger tax bill for my first month, but it was sorted out in month two.

5. skellig1182

I will definitely get my p45 sorted. I just wondered if I would be paid at the end of April if I started on the 11th or would I get some of April in with the May 31st salary. Im a bit worried that I'm going to go through the Easter holidays with no income and then 1 and 1/2 months before a salary.

6. skellig1182

I'm not sure if they start contracts on the 1st April (if you are on supply and not currently on contract to end 31st April when you would normally get your last salary from previous school) or the 11th of April or the 1st of May. The job advert just said maternity contract from April 2016.

7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You will be paid from the 11th April (if that's when you start); the only question is whether they will get your details processed in time for the April pay-roll - there should be time, but you might want to make sure they get on with it.
    (For someone moving from another school, their old school would only pay them to 10th April, and the new school would pay from 11th April; that would probably mean they get a pay-slip from each employer in April.)