1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Approriate activities during guided reading for Year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pocoyo, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I have a Year 1 Class and we have whole class guided reading time each day. I have a group and the TA has a group. The other children are either doing quiet reading or I might ask them to draw their favourite character. I am looking for some ideas of appropriate and interesting activities for the children to do during guided reading which will extend them and be more effective use of the time.

Is there a website which has any good ideas or is there something you follow yourself?

2. I have a Year 1 Class and we have whole class guided reading time each day. I have a group and the TA has a group. The other children are either doing quiet reading or I might ask them to draw their favourite character. I am looking for some ideas of appropriate and interesting activities for the children to do during guided reading which will extend them and be more effective use of the time.

Is there a website which has any good ideas or is there something you follow yourself?

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Can the majority of year 1s do silent reading? If they can, isn't this a good use of their time while the others work with you or the TA? Sorry I dunno, but wish my child read at school like this.

4. They can do quiet reading for about 5 minutes before getting restless. We do a little competition each time for the quietest table and they get a sticker each. However, most of them prefer drawing a character etc but you can only do this every so often. I am looking for a range of activities to make it more varied really.

5. NO I expect ! Bless em. Lots still can't even read!
    There are lots of older threads on here about independent activities for Years 1 and 2. Works well in our school, once they're 'trained'! Try googling - I'll see if I can find any old documents - remember downloading lots of useful stuffs from LAs around the country.

6. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

Diary writing (you have to train them first), word games, handwriting, free writing, free reading, handwriting practice, fine motor skills e.g. making letters out of playdoh (there are mats for hf words & phonics on ******), observational drawing , puzzles...

7. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Ideas I use: handwriting, phonic activities, using role play area, individual reading or writing, comprehension style, simple book review, design own character, joke writing, drawing setting from book

8. I have a rolling weekly programme so each group completes all the activities each week.
    The activities vary according to subject and needs at the time but may include: using 1 or 2 set computer programs, reading in pairs, word searches, non-fiction books appropriate to class topic, listening to a particular CD, word games from the literacy cupboard (synonyms, antonyms, rhyming bingo, pairs, etc), dictionary skills, silent reading, story board creation of a particular text, comic/magazine box, literacy challenge cards, alphabet puzzles and games etc.
    I can then target questions at the end of the session or week based on the independent activities they have been doing.
    I try to leave handwriting skills, spelling and drawing activities out of Guided Reading time so they know they are focussing on reading skills.
    Once they know the routine and the value that you put on the independent activities then I believe this is a really valuable and effective use of time plus they all know they get a session a week withteacher and TA during this time. I love it and so do the children!

newromantic and Elainedean like this.
  9. Talking of ideas and activities

About two weeks ago I downloaded a file that had lots of teaching activities on it. It is really good and I use it pretty much every day.

You have to sort of over-write templates to create lessons quickly - it's kind of hard to explain but it is a dead good file.

You could probably tweak it to years 1&2 even though its ideal for kids a little older.

I think it is teacheractivities.co.uk.

10. There might be some ideas here you could use?
    http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=399
    I used to have a carousel of 5 activities that the children did throughout the week. Something like;
    1 group - guided reading
    1 group - independent reading
    1 group - handwriting
    1 group - phonic games on the computer
    1 group a different activitiy that I changed weekly (playdough/whiteboards/fine motor activities/phonic games/crossword or other word searches or puzzles/ideas from the link above etc etc)
    :eek:)

11. munap_h

munap_h New commenter

I too teach Yr 1s. Once a week I do collaborative reading with my TAs group. My wee ones would each choose a book and try reading it by themselves for 5 minutes. Then both our groups would read to each other. The learners love as as they each can show off their skills to one another. Also, the advanced readers are able to help the emerging readers with some words. Its a lovely activity as their task is to read the same book to at least 3 other friends from the other group.

That should keep them quite busy while you and your TA work with a focus group.

Sometimes, I give them a free choice of choosing their books. Read it, draw their favourite page and copy the words. We can then ask them about their drawing etc. Opens up a whole load of AFL opportunities.

12. ElizaMorrell

ElizaMorrell New commenter

Just don't do guided reading. It's 15 minutes of benefit to 12 children (provided your groups aren't disrupted by the rest of the class misbehaving) while the rest are given (often) pointless filler tasks to keep them quiet. Many schools have already moved on from the outdated system.

I do whole class reading with my year 1s for 10 minutes on the carpet 4 times a week. Last half term we read the Tale of Peter Rabbit together. I display a section of the story on the whiteboard. They pick out words they can read, we segment and blend more difficult ones together, I read and they repeat, they read to their partner, they read in their heads/quietly out loud, and they ask/answer questions about the text.

After we've done whole class, I give them a piece of paper with the part of the story on that we've just read, along with their reading scheme books and I let them read in pairs for 10/15 minutes. They sit and read to each other from the whole class text (I mix abilities and highlight certain words if I have a nervous/LA child) and they get through their reading scheme books. They all have a library book, so if they've got through both, they are allowed to look at their library books.

Instead of working with a group, I bob around the room and listen to children for a minute at a time to check their decoding or test them on HFW recognition/suffixes/comprehension etc.

All of the children are on task (partly because they love sharing books with each other, partly because I am lurking), all of the children are either reading or being read to and they have 80 minutes each week of dedicated reading time instead of 15 minutes with the TA and 15 minutes with the teacher.

13. skinnimini

skinnimini New commenter

Seeing as a lot of year 1 is focused on the phonics screener, I have seen a lot of independent activities largely phonics based (and they are completely independent) as without phonics, they can’t read!

Now our school has moved to whole class guided reading where all children are on the carpet and we have each session altogether- it’s working really well.

14. Jenkibubble

Jenkibubble Occasional commenter

Sorting real and fake words and posting them into ☹️?
    Or, for HA a basic book review - title , author , why they like it (proforma on ******) , rainbow writing tricky words is another independent activity ( 5 tricky words and five colours for them to write them in )

15. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I know this thread is zillions of years old, but this really is an excellent response.

Can't believe people are doing this time-wasting rubbish...

alexanderosman likes this.
  16. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Lead commenter

I agree it’s an excellent idea and a good alternative to carousel-type activities. The only problem I can see is that I have got some readers on turquoise and some still on red. It would be hard to find a whole/class text to suit those who still can’t blend CVC words, while being challenging enough for the fluent readers.

17. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Could you split into just two groups for whole class reading - with you having most of the class, and your TA taking either the lower or highest group? (Not the same group all the time, of course).

alexanderosman likes this.
  18. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Lead commenter

I rarely have one these days.... (sigh)