1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Appropriate fiction books for year 8 tutor group

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rthomas2015, Sep 28, 2019.

1. rthomas2015

rthomas2015 New commenter

My school has a lovely policy whereby at the beginning of the lesson after lunch all pupils bring a book in to read for 10 minutes or so. It really helps with settling after running around at lunchtime and also improves literacy. However, they get a 10 minute correction if they forget their book. My idea is to have a book box in my room for those students forgetting their book in my lesson, but also for my tutor group (year 8) as there are a couple of repeat offenders who always get corrections for not having their book. The reading ages in my tutor group ranges from 7 to 16. What authors should I be looking out for? Especially for the lower reading ages as the books need to be accessible for them, but not too young in content. Is David Walliams too young? Diary of a wimpy kid too young? Books I have already are the hunger games, 1984, curious incident of the dog in the night, animal farm.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

have you spoken to your Eng dept or school library? Our library has a reading age scheme with coloured stickers to denote books suitable for for diff reading ages

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Go down to the school library, who will probably help you collect up a suitable assortment, probably including "speed reads" with a lower reading age. Much to be said for having shorter and easier books so they actually get stuck into the story in the 10 minutes. Does it have to be fiction? Things like horrible histories and horrible geographies, might go down well with some. My daughter's class were recommended Violent Volcanos as background reading for geography.
    You could also invite donations to the box - older pupils having a clearout might put a few your way.

4. tolkien

tolkien New commenter